Calling all former teen moms

How old are you now and how old are your kids? Do you think that since you had them younger, youre more active and involved in their lives, especially if they are teenagers themselves? When you went to PTA meetings, Little League games, or Girl Scouts did the other moms ever give you mean looks because you were younger? Were you able to keep some sort of social life? Did you continue your schooling? Did you get married or stayed together with your child's father? If not, how did being a mother impact your dating life?

Im 18 and I have a one year old son. I already know what its like to be a teen mom with a baby. Now im just wondering what the rest of my life will be like as he grows older. If you have any encouraging words, please share. I just really want to hear the perspective of older women who were teen moms.
And please NO bashing. If youre going to be rude, please just navigate away and take your rudeness elsewhere

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• How old are you now and how old are your kids? I am 27 and my oldests (twins) are 11, I was 15 Do you think that since you had them younger, youre more active and involved in their lives, especially if they are teenagers themselves? More and less in different areas. Mostly more though
    Dd the other moms ever give you mean looks because you were younger? Yes, bad at their school. Even some of their peers would ask, "r u the sister?"
    Were you able to keep some sort of social life? Yes I had a really good balance
    Did you continue your schooling? Not college, but think I would've made the same decision regardless
    Did you get married or stayed together with your child's father? Well, I met DH when they were 3 and got married like 4 years later
    If not, how did being a mother impact your dating life? See above answer, it totally separates the ones that are actually worth it
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 6:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I was15 when I had my first child. I'm now 33 and he is 17. I found out I was pregnant 3 months into my sophomore year. The father has never been there for us, walked right out the minute the school counselor told him I was pregnant. Have only seen him 3 times since. I know he has spent alot of time in prison and I prefer him to not be a part of our life. I did continue high school, graduated top 10 in my class, and meet a man who accepted my son as his own. Having a social life was difficult, none of my friends had babies therefor didn't understand the responsibility. When my son went to kindergarten I was 21 and yes everyone looked at me funny. I had one teacher ask me where is mom was. My words of encouragement.. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. You know what is best for you and your baby. Take things one day at a time and concentrate on being the best mommy possible. Everything else will fall into place!
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Well I'm 18 with a (soon to be) 3 year old. I do get mistaken for his sister, and I just have to explain to people that I am his mother. I am very active with him and I hope that continues as he gets older. I still have a social life, you just need to find people who accept the fact that you have a child and can't do many spur of the moment things anymore. I dropped out at 16, got my GED, and plan on going to college when he's 5. (I'll be 21) I am not with my son's father- he already has another child to another woman (He's 21) My fiancee wants to adopt him, he claims him as his own. Having a child really lets you know who the good guys are. I never hide the fact that I have a kid- if they can't accept my child they're not worth my time.

I know I'm the same age as you, I just thought you'd like the view from someone with an older child...
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I'm 23 and have a 3 year old. I did get pregnant at 19 so I am sort of on the borderline of a former "teen mom". I continued college after he turned 18 months, still trying to get a degree. My marriage is really struggling and I really don't know what career I want in life, but staying at home is not for me. I have a social life but moving around makes it more difficult to have one. My social life really comes and then goes. I'm not much older than you so I have no real "words of wisdom" for you. I value my elders opinions because they've been through it all! You have gotten through the first year of life, you can honestly do it. Time will go by very quickly so don't forget to enjoy each moment.
    Anonymous

• I had my daughter at 18. shes 5 now and in kindergarten. im the youngest parent lol but i think we relate more to our kids cuz we remember what it was like to be kids. im very involved and too active lol. im not with her father lets not even go there but im making it.
    ladiesfirst

Answer by ladiesfirst at 8:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I'm 20 and my son just turned 12mos. I LOVE being a young mamma! and I'm very proud of my life, my son, and everything I've accomplished!

I got pregnant my freshman year of college (2nd semester). I'd been with my then boyfriend for 3 1/2 yrs when we found out I was pregnant and just over 4yrs by the time our son was born. I never stopped going to college, I'm now in my 3rd year! and my husband and I (son's daddy) just got married a few months ago!
    we have been able to keep a social life. both of our families are VERY accepting and happy for us and support us with what we've chosen. we surround ourselves with friends who are on the same page of life as we are...it's not many, but they're AWESOME friends!! they understand and can identify with life!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2009