How do I get my 2 year old to stop playing with poop and smearing it all over the tv?

I am at the end of my rope! For the past 2 weeks my 2 year old has pulled poop out of his diaper and smeared it all over the tv and for the life of me I don't know why, nor do I know what to do about it.

gavinsmomma09

Asked by gavinsmomma09 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give him something squishy to play with and paint with. make him help clean it up. also try to get potty training going (my dd is almost 2 and wants nothing to do with it so i understand if he doesn't either) and put tape around the top of the diaper, change him as soon as you can. mostly never let him out of ur sight, and i know it's hard cause it only takes them 1 sec to do something but it will help if you can catch him right when he starts and tell him no and go change him. good luck
    mommy2xp

Answer by mommy2xp at 9:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The advice my mom always gave me was make them clean it up. She said that when we were little and did stuff like that she would make us clean it up.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• uuuh watch your kid lady... Smack the kids hand when he reaches into his pants. Discipline when you find crap on your TV.
    Anonymous

• eew.
    Put onsies on him maybe? Onsies and overalls... it would be hard to get to it!
    I would also start potty training ASAP
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Ya I have to say that i agree with anon :36 WATCH YOUR CHILD. Ask yourself what and where are you when your child is sticking there hand in there pants or putting it on the TV? My child is NEVER left in a room alone where my child can get into stuff. What's more important then leaving your child unattended? NOTHING in my eyes.
    Anonymous

• ewwww! come on where are you as the child does this? it took her that much time to dig in and smear it... what are you doing? where are you at when this happens. sounds like she keeps doing it, then i guess your not supervising your child well enough.
    Anonymous

• Overalls or safety pins his cloths together. And potty train him. Obviously it bothers him and he is aware of it. And tell the trolls, if you can't say anything helpful then don't say anything at all, seriously adults please.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• You anons have a lot of nerve. She didn't ask for your condescending judgements, she asked for advice on how to handle the situation.

I would try taping the diaper, changing it immediately after he has a bowel movement, or making sure he has pants on at all times (which will make it hard for him to dig in his diaper). For some reason, kids his age are fascinated with gross stuff like poop! I'm sure this is just a phase that will pass soon.

Good luck!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It is almost impossible for find onesies around in here a 2 or 3T and because he's a chunky butt it's hard putting him in overalls. And, it's nice to know mommies can come on here and get BASHED with peoples comments when they are just looking or ADVICE!!! He's not unattended, but at two years old it only takes a second for them to do something like that, so let me know how you get through your duties at home with cleaning and dishes while having your eyes FOCUSED on your childs every move. Thank you to those who offered useful advice!
    gavinsmomma09

Answer by gavinsmomma09 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Wow, that is disgusting and I'm so sorry you have to deal with that! I'm going to agree with making him clean it up or having a strict punishment when he does it. Or look at it this way, maybe it's time to potty train and he's trying to tell you (in a very gross way) that he doesn't like poop in his diaper.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2009