If you feed your 12-18 month olds Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, how much of it do they eat?

The whole thing? Half of it?? Do they eat anything else with it?

I'm just wondering if my 14 month old is getting enough to eat! My son ate half a Grilled Cheese Sandwhich. Two pear slices. 1/4 of an Eggo. And a small slice of turkey. He's underweight, so I want to make sure he's at least eating what he should be eating!

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 19 m/o and usually eats the whole thing. it also depends on the bread. he likes the whitewheat breads or garlic toast. he likes to pull them apart and eat that way! he especially likes them with tomato slices. I usually offer the sandwich with a side of freshly sliced fruit or some green beans
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The general rule of thumb is a toddler's serving is 1/4 of an adult serving. However, it largely depends on the kid!

My boys at 14 months would have downed the entire sandwich (2 pieces of bread) and the entire pear....and wondered where the rest of lunch was!! They were and still are big eaters.

As long as he's eating and not leaving the table hungry, you're doing well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Usually just the middle lol
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 8:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My son would prob eat a little over half. he is 15 months. Your son eats more then my son does.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my 16 month old daughter never takes more than 2-4 bites of ANY food. She isn't underweight at all and still gets most of her nutrition from breastmilk.

If he is eating as much as you say, then he is eating enough, and he probably just has a high metabolism... and is very active. All kids grow at their own pace.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• wow! that's more than my 23 month old eats lol. if he's still hungry give him more, but otherwise he's probably just active and burns it all off.
    mommy2xp

Answer by mommy2xp at 9:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My18mos old DD would eat the whole thing. She's like a goldfish though, she has no concept of being full.
    Anonymous

• It all depends on the kid. With my oldest, I was lucky if she would eat a quarter of it. With my youngest, she will eat the whole thing and be looking for me. I don't think there is a right answer as long as your kiddo is gaining weight and is healthy.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my daughter is 19 months old and she doesn't really like Grilled Cheese.
    When i make it i cute it in 4's and she eats 1/4 of it.
    JaelynsMom4708

Answer by JaelynsMom4708 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2009