what do you say to someone who thinks breastfeeding is nasty?

I went to my bestfriends sons b-day today and her boyfriend walked by me while I was breast feesing my 4 month old and he says "Oh God" like he was disgusted and he walked away. Later I called my best friend and asked her what was his deal and she goes oh he thinks breastfeeding is unnatural. I was like ok well what does he think God gave women breasts for and she says for him to play with. She even told me that when she was pregnant with her son and was thinking about breast feeding her son he said no that its not right, and wouldn't allow her to breastfeed. So now I am wondering what to say to him next time he says something foul about breastfeeding. Has anyone here had to deal with that? and if so what did u say?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• tell him to close his eyes if he doesn't like it. And grow up!
    busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• tell him u do it for tha baby, its health for them and he should keep his opions to himself.tell him he is a guy and will never understand.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I don't see why you should have to engage him on the topic at all. His opinion doesn't matter in the least when it comes to your children. If he brings it up you can tell him just that. He is entitled to his opinion, but he can keep it to himself when you are around because it has no bearing on your life or your choices for your family.

Personally, I prefered to nurse in private. If you choose to do it in public then you need to be ready for some people to be uncomfortable with it. Right or wrong, not everyone wants to see you nurse.
    Anonymous

• just be grateful you he's not your boyfriend!
    busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• If I had the chance to bf my son when he was an infant I would have. He was born with a minor submucous cleft palate which was later repaired. We had chosen to feed our ds with formula. Babies have to eat too. God gave us taa taas for a reason and I figured it's to bf our children. People would b%&@(#*%^ if we weren't feeding our children.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I would b rude n say something 2 shut him up. Like "screw u n r stupid opinions" my friend would appreciate me standing up 2him.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Tell him to grow up and talk to your friend about it. They should be mature enough to respect your decision and not make you feel uncomfortable when you need to breast feed. Your friend needs to have a talk with her boyfriend about his comments. What a dick!
    Anonymous

• I hear you anon :35 but the thing is- if my son starts crying and is hungry while I am in public then I am gonna feed him. I am a little uncomfortable doing it in public but his needs come before mine you know?
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• thank u anon :43 thats what I was thinking I just didnt know how to put it
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Simply saying, Sorry you feel that way. I mean, really. You can't control how people feel.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2009