after a miscarriage? i m confused....

after a miscarriage...your hormone levels should drop right? then you would test negative to be preganant? so why am i still testing positive? the hospital the other day said they werent sure. if i was a miss or not. i started cramping a bleeding and have been bleeding since. the US showed nothing. they said either i lost it or i was too early to tell....my levels that day were at 22...the dr said home tests dont confirm a preg utill 25....sooooo what is going on? has anyone bleed like this and not miscarried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Best thing to do is relax, watch the bleeding carefully and retest newxt week. If it is still positive call your Dr.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• you can still test positve because you still have the pregnancy horomone. The only way they can tell if the baby is gone is to do a sonogram or listen for a heartbeat if you are atleast 13 wks i think. I still tested positive after i miscarried..i even went to 3 different docs just because i didnt want to believe it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Yea pretty much what the PP said. This early on there is no way to tell why a test would still say positive. You just have to wait it out and see what happens.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Your levels don't drop immediately. It can take some time before the hormones leave your body.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 8:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html
    While MOST brands of HPT have an official sensitivity of 25 or higher, many of them have a lower anecdotal level.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My doctor told me to wait for two weeks and then to test. I did and it was neg. I was 11 weeks along when I had my m/c. How long has it been?
    Anonymous

• it has been since thursday....they are not sure how far along i was...i found out last sunday...and had not gone to the doctor yet...started cramping wednesday..and then bled out thursday. my SO made me go to the ER.
    Anonymous

• i have has 2 preg. that i bleed for the first 6 months and im now on my 3 rd preg and doing it again and im not sure how far along i am my levels a week ago were 114 and the dr on call said i was haveing a miss... and i didnt let it worry me that much since i have had bleeding with my other 2 well i went back 2 days later my hcg levels were a 278 then 5 days later they were a 3000 and im still bleeding so jsut stick it out as long as your not bleeding heavy and crmaping where its very painfull i wouldnt worry right yet hope this helps
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The first time I miscarried, it took three months to get back to zero hcg. The second time, it took about 3 1/2 weeks. It will take some time and more blood testing will answer your question.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It can take quite some time to get back to zero... after my m/c it took at least three weeks going by bloodwork every week. Many tests have a sensitivity lower than 25 mcg of hcg. The best thing to find out what's going on to run a series of quantitative beta hcgs (bloodwork measuring the exact level of hcg.) That should give you a clearer picture of what is going on. I'm very sorry for what you're going through.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2009