Is technology hurting communication?

U've seen couples sitting next 2 each other playing w/ their cell. Or texting insteading of calling/emailing. At least with emails u would write mr. So do u think technology (cell phones n social networks online) r hurting communication?

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• i STRONGLY believe that the reason why old people have been married so long is becuz they didnt have cell phones and any way to communicate besides in each others face when they got home from work. I think it's def ruining everything!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I can see how facebook n cell helps me stay in touch w/ family n ffriends I would've had to email b4, but I don't see it benefiting a relationship with DH/SO.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I don't really think it hurts it, no. Of course, I could be biased. My boyfriend is a long haul truck driver, so without the technology of cell phones and computers, we would have a hard time keeping our relationship going. I will say that there are some instances where it does hurt communication, but I think most of the time, it is a good thing.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• YES YES AND YES!!!! I'm typing this as I sit on my sectional couch on my computer and my husband sitting less than 5 feet away playing computer games on his. But in all honesty, I am married to someone who cant go without technology. It's hard for him to have a conversation. He cant go 5 minutes without grabbing his phone to text or look something up, turn on the tv, or play on the computer. I have argued with him MULTIPLE times about this. To be truthful, I'd go back 10 years to when we met and give up computers, phones and everything just to be able to have conversation again!
    Anonymous

• Depends. My hubby is deployed, so our cell phones are out life lines to each other. But since you can't hear or see people through emails and face book and all, then it can cause some huge problems. But at the same time, you can type an email, and re read it before you send. Once you say something, you can't take it back.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Yes and no. If it's replacing regular interaction, of course. On the other hand, it's great for keeping up with people you don't see otherwise, or are too busy to call. I haven't seen my sister in almost 4 years and we're both so busy we only call each other every couple of months, but we chat on Facebook. That way we can see pictures of each other's kids and leave notes that the other can get to whenever we have a chance. It's also great for those of us who are stay at home moms and don't get as many opportunities to meet people.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Yes. I can't think of anything positive that has come from cell phones and blackberrys and etc. other than making money and working more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I can c how it helps long distance relationships, but I don't see how it helps my relationship w/ SO. B4 u would talk on da phone but now u text a short msg. I guess it helps da guys who don't like being on da phone LOL! I'm seeing it as a problem cuz the phones have internet, games aside from texting. I don't see how it helps when we live together n don't see each other til he gets home from work. That's when u used 2 b able 2 talk about ur day, during dinner or b4 going 2 bed. But now DVR record all his (n mine) programs w/o having 2 watch commercials (ur opportunity 2 grab a snack or discuss the previous segment).

I think now that I'm getting very comfortable in my SAHM role I need 2 set some ground rules.
    Anonymous

• I think that this world has gotten soo deep into technology that we've resorted to not communicating face to face. Soo many people would rather email then call and talk online then go out to lunch together. I do believe that technology advances have hurt a lot of relationships. People don't communicate the same. Ontop of that grammar has gone down hill considerably. Especially in the younger generations.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2009