What do you do to keep yourself from getting irritated or losing your patience with you little ones?

I have an 8 mon old daughter, I lover her to death, but her temper and attitude are already showing through, especially when she doesn't want to do something like get changed or dressed. I find myself getting irritated and frustrated more and more and I'm really starting to hate myself for it.
The funny thing is, she rarely acts like that with her dad so am I doing something wrong?

jmpeskie

Asked by jmpeskie at 8:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little boy is the same way..He is 11 months and already screams hits and pouts when he wants or doesnt like something! More than once a day I find myself taking a deep breath and walking out of the room for a few minutes. I know how you feel and no I don't think your doing anything wrong! Love and Hugs!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I believe it is the privilege of being mom. My boys (now 2 and 3) always give me a harder time than they do their dad. If they give me a hard time when he is home I just pass them over. I am with the all day and some days I am just so worn out from them fighting me on everything. On days where they just fight me, I just walk away, come back 5 minutes later and tell them this is what we are doing. I know, you really can't tell an 8 month old. But if you get really irritated, just put her in her crib and walk away for few minutes and then come back. Usually once I compose myself it is fine. They know we are getting frustrated which makes them act worse I believe.
    Anonymous

• YOUR NOT DOING ANYTHIGN WRONG , IS OK TO FEEL FRUSTRATED , THAT WAY YOU GET UR EMOTIONS OUT , BESIDES , EVEN THOUGHT OUR KIDS ARE ADORABLE N WE LOVE THEM TO DEATH , THEY CAN GET IN OUR NERVES LOL .

MY DS IS 3 MONTHS OLD AND EVERYTHING IS GREAT WITH HIM :) LOL BUT IM OBVIOUSLY NOT COMPARING MY SITUATION WITH URS , SINCE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT .

BUT WHAT HAPPENS TO U W UR DD , HAPPENS A LOT IN BABYSITTING LOL I WOULD BREAK IN A SWEAT WHEN THE KIDS DIDNT WANT TO WEAR SOMWTHING THEIR MOMMY WANTED , SO TAHT WAS HARDER LOL

BUT WAIT UNTIL SHES 2/3 . TAHTS WHEN TEHY CAN GET ON UR NERVES SO MANY TIMES A DAY LOL IS CRAZY LOL :)
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• when they were young and pushing that limit, I'd lay them in crib and walk away for a quick breather.

then come back when I was feeling a bit more able to deal.

and yeah...they're little angels when daddy's around. grumblegrumble...lol (mine are 8,6 and 3) and I still find that need to just walk away sometimes, now I just have to pick the battles I really want to fight.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I go outside and smoke to clam down i know I am horrible, but i am a smoker.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• "I go outside and smoke to clam down i know I am horrible, but i am a smoker"

Unfortunately, me too. But, it does calm me down enough and gives me a few min to myself to clear my mind and curse lol.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I do the same as hypermamaz when I'm going crazy - - stick him in his crib and take 5 minutes ti chill. He can't hurt himself in his crib and I'm going to be MUCH better equipped to deal with him if I've had a a chance to relax, even for just a few minutes.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I breastfeed and let the hormones oxytocin and prolactin wash over me and the endorphins calm me. I don't know why moms do it without magic milky and the wonderful hormones.

I'm a grandmother now and I have been involved with my grandson's care since he was born. He is 14 mo now and his mother works full time. I take care of him 2-3 days a week. The good days are easy but the bad days are so hard without the ability to breastfeed! He is breastfed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I just keep telling myself, she is just a baby, she isnt doing anything different than any other baby. It helps a little.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I DRINK !!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2009