What are the reasons that teenage girls cut themselves?

I'm trying to understand why teenage girls do this and from what kind of emotional problems it comes from. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• many different reason and DOES NOT mean the person is Borderline...though alot of borderlines cut becuase its away to soothe their severe emotions..

I started cutting myself back when i was around 8 yrs old but didn't start on a regular basis till i was 16. stopped when i was 21

My life was extremely chaotic and was abused/neglected in several ways (ABUSE IS NOT THE ONLY REASON FOR CUTTING THOUGH)

Cutting was a coping mechanism, the only one i knew besides drugs and alcohol.

Dialectical behavioral therapy is what ultimately helped me stop... it gave me the resources and skills to get my life under control and numerous other coping mechanisms to use instead of cutting.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• low self-esteem and feeling of low self-worth
    Anonymous

• "When you hurt so much on the inside, the only way to relieve the pain is to hurt a little on the outside"

from a "blog" of a cutter i found
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 9:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Like said above, cutting is often the way teens deal with abuse. When teens have been abused consistantly over time, it creates so much internal pain that cutting helps them focus on the physical pain instead of the emotional pain.

Also, if teens have lived through extremely chaotic situation with little to no consitancy and stability, cutting gives them something they can control. This is also a common reason for anorexia. A teen can't control their alcoholic mom, or make their dad come back, but they can cut or starve themselves.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It is not necessarily caused by abuse. When people have emotional pain that they do not know how to deal with it helps them to cut. I started cutting myself a few years back when I was around 30 years old for the first time ever. I have always been rather masochistic but I was going through some things and the endorphines(sp?) and the rush of adrenaline is very soothing and made me feel better. I only did it for about 6 months or so, my life took a drastic change and I no longer felt the need to do it.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• There are many reasons.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Cutters normally suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) Looking it up might be easier than me explaining it.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I can tell you why I did and that every cutter I have ever meet did so with similar issues in there life. I started cutting when I was barely 15. The original trigger was a violent fight with my drunkin stepfather. I got a blood blister on my hip where I'd hit the edge of the counter and cut it open in an attempt to make it go away. The adrenalin rush was the most soothing thing I'd felt in years. I've been a bit of an adrenalin junky my whole life, but this was new. Cutting was eaiser and less dangerous. The year I was 15 was the most difficult of my life so far. I was faced with an abusive relationship, being raped, a misscarriage, I developed several addiction including alcohol and cutting. I was also a sever insomniac. Through it all the only constant I ever had was cutting. It was my trusty friend and my strongest addiction.
    jrsjrb

Answer by jrsjrb at 5:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2009