My 9 year-old daughter has just been diagnosed with a fractured vertebrae, has anyone been through this?

A few weeks ago my almost 10 year-old daughter began complaining of lower back pain. Not a constant pain or extremely painful, but it didn't go away. I thought she may have strained her back or it was growing pains but I finally took her in to the doctor. Her doctor immediately ordered an MRI and he called this week with the results saying that she has a small fracture in one of her vertebrae & referred me to an orthopedic doctor - our appt is still a couple weeks away. So of course I've been scouring the internet for information which is a little helpful & a lot scary. It is likely she will have to wear a back brace for a while. My daughter says she knows it happened at school when she was jump-roping, but I've seen it associated with trampolines - especially when 2 or more kids jump together. Has anyone else experienced this, if so, what happened? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't know. But I hope it heals well! I'm sorry she's hurting. That sucks. But since they didn't get her in to the ortho doc immediately, hopefully that means it's not a huge deal, really. I know it is to you guys, though.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• HI MY NAME IS DANA AND I AM 30YRS OLD. WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I HAD A HERNIATED DISC. AND EVERY KNOW AND THEN IT WOULD SLIP AND CAUSE PAIN. I WENT TO A CHRIO AND HE PUT ME BACK INTO PLACE. AND ON AUGUST 29, 2006 I WAS EATING OUT WITH MY KIDS AND I STOOD UP AND FELT THIS ELECTRIC SHOCK GO DOWN MY LEG. SO IWENT HOME AND LAID ON MY BED. ABOUT A HALF HOUR LATER I WENT TO GET UP AND I COULDNT. SO MY BOYFRIEND PULLED ME OFF MY BED I WAS SCREAMING THE WHOLE WAY OFF. I HAD TO SNAKE CRAWL TO THE STAIRS AND GO DOWN THEM BACKWARDS. THEY GOT THE COMPUTER CHAIR AND PUSHED ME TO THE DOOR AND TOOK ME TO THE HOSPITAL. THEY SAID I HAD PULLED A MUSCLE. I SAT IN THE WAITING ROOM FOR TWO HOURS FOR THAT. SO I WENT TO MY DOCTOR THE NEXT DAY AND THEY DID X-RAYS AND MRI'S. AND TOLD ME I HAD FRACTURED MY L-5 VERTEBRAE. I TRIED FOR A YEAR OF THERAPY AND SHOTS TO NUM THE PAIN BUT NOTHING WORKED. SO I HAD A SPINAL FUSION DONE IN NOVEMBER IN 07
    bakerdana3

Answer by bakerdana3 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I AM NOT SAYING YOU DAUGHTER WILL HAVE TO HAVE A SPINAL FUSION BUT PLEASE TRY EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO AVOID IT. BUT LET ME TELL YOU THIS AND I DONT WANT TO SCARE YOU BUT AFTER MY SPINAL FUSION I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH FIBROMYALGIA. FIBROMYALGIA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUSION BUT TRAUMA TO THE BODY CAN CAUSE FIBROMYALGIA. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS. THANKS DANA
    bakerdana3

Answer by bakerdana3 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• That exact thing happened to me when I was that age but my mom thinks it's cause I jumped off my bunk bed a lot. From what I remember, they told me to just rest it off. I still (19yrs old) have very serious back pain =(
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I broke two vertebrae when I was 16 in a skiing accident. For me it wasn't too big of a deal. I did wear a back brace for 6 weeks. It was removable so I didn't have to wear it in the shower or all the time. I did sleep on a firmer mattress during that time to help with the pain. I also wasn't supposed to pick up anything heavier than 10 pounds. I also learned how to do things without bending over, like brushing my teeth.. Other than that the Drs didn't do anything. I took some pain meds the first week or so.
    I hope your little girl will be okay!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Stop reading the internet!!! Obviously there is no great cause for concern or you would have been told to get her in IMMEDIATELY for treatment!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Deep breaths, Mama. I wish I knew what to tell you, but from what i've read above, there are all kinds of differences when it comes to the spine. -Anonymous- was right. If it was serious, you probably would have been called in immediately. I think that if there is any dramatic treatment option, a second opinion would probably be beneficial, but I also think that your doctor sounds pretty decent- any doctor to take a kid with back pain seriously enough to actually get an MRI is paying attention- trust me. Hang in there!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:17 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Anonymous has it right. Quit reading the internet..
    There is so much gray when it comes to a spinal fracture. What kinda of complications and treatments do depend on what vertabrae was fractured and where on the vertabrae (the body or the spiny part).

I work on a rescue squad. I know of 2 different men involved in trauma that ended up with a spinal fracture. Actually both with in the cervical spine (neck). Both men are just fine today. The one I know only wore a soft brace for a few weeks while the bone healed. The other one I am not really sure what exact treatment he had, but I don't think he had and surgery.

It takes a lot of force to break a vertabrae. My guess would be more of the trampoline than the jump rope.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 1:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2009