Getting rid of sippy cups

Alright my daughters are 3 and 4 and I really need to get rid of their sippy cups casue they depend on them so much especially when they go to bed. They allow one cup of juice before bed but if they want more juice they only get water. But I really need to get rid of them, but not to upset them. My oldest is gonna be the hardest I think. Help me please!

mommyjones

Asked by mommyjones at 9:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids are only supposed to have 4-6 ounces of juice in a regular cup with meals according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Follow those guidelines and your daughters can continue to use the sippy cups for water.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• make it a big girl thing becoming like mommy type thing.....cups with straws that are still kid friendly but that way it wouldn't be in their room. and they can't go to bed with it.......and like the other momma said make juice with food and water for a drink without food.
    me-n-mygirls

Answer by me-n-mygirls at 10:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• At their age, just tell them they are too old for sippy cups and they are done. take them away!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Just take them away. They are way too old for sippy cups. Don't back down, just throw all of them out. They do not need them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• ath this age the best you can do is just throw them away. And Jucie before bed is a bad bad idea.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Personally, I would toss them and cut out the before bed drink, especially juice. That's going to set them up for some serious problems.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• i just recently got rid of my 2 1/2 year old sons sippy cups bc i had gotten into the same bad habit of letting him have one where ever he was including bed time. My MIL very nicely had pointed out that my son used his sippy cup just like those two and three year olds that carry around bottles and this made me snap out of it and take control. I threw away all his cups and told him he was a big boy and would have to use a cup from now on. It was tough the first night or two when he cried for his cuppy at bedtime but now he goes to bed just fine. sometimes he'll ask for one and i tell him no you know you dont take a cup to bed anymore and he goes to bed fine. i do still allow sports bottles for long car trips but he feels like a big boy and i know that this is healther for him mentally and physically in the long run. Just think what you'll be saving in dental bills
    smerlan

Answer by smerlan at 4:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Try telling them in your own way that TODAY IS THE DAY WE ARE GOING TO START TO DRINK OUT OF BIG GIRL CUPS SIPPY CUPS ARE FOR SMALLER KIDS let them think about it and see what happens just practice with them without the sippy cup and have them drink out of a regular cup pour very little in there as they get the idea add more liquid in their cup. If your like me I do not allow drinks in the living room or any other room when my kids were little yes but I did what I mentioned above and it worked for me, but you have to be very stern as well or they won't take you seriously. GL and Have fun.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2009