What are some potty training tips that worked for you, and do you have a boy or a girl, how old were they when you began training, what are some signs that they are ready?

My son is 2 1/2, and we recently started potty training. His first week was tough, but then he was doing great. We skipped pull ups and went straight to underwear. He was telling me when he had to pee, and even pooped on the potty a few times. Now, he doesnt tell me anymore, except for when he has to POOP. He has pee accidents all the time, but he will never poop on himself. If he is watching cartoons, he will pee on himself instead of going to the bathroom, and if I take him to the potty every 15 minutes, he still manages to pee on himself. WHAT DO I DO??

yasabree

Asked by yasabree at 9:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine were dry at night at about age 3, and this is when I started. I put them in training pants on a Friday morning, and every half hour on Friday I took them to the potty. I had 5 pairs of training pants to wash. On Saturday I had 3 pairs. On Sunday they were trained.

Answer by Bmat at 9:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• DD is a girl and we didn't have a real "start". She started using her little potty about a month after she learned to walk. So I guess we started at 11 months. She always went to the bathroom and babies love to imitate what they see so I gave her a little potty of her own. I tracked her pee/poop "routine" and put her on when I knew she'd probably go soon. She was fully potty trained by 21 months. We used cloth diapers and instead of covers I used panties over the prefolds to better know when she went and catch her in time. A big help was potty books for kids that show other kids or liked characters using a toilet. Then PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE! =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• He is even beginning to expect a treat if I have to force him to the potty. Like, if its time for him to go, and I ask him, he'll give me a hard time. Then, once he pees, he'll say "Can I have candy/chips?"
    yasabree

Answer by yasabree at 9:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Try a potty chart with stickers. Everytime he makes it on time, he gets a sticker. At the end of the week, if he has reached his # goal, his reward could be like a new coloring book, or a couple of those dinosaurs from the bargin bin at Target.... and maybe like a trip to CC when the chart gets full (I made a huge chart..)
    aerisnmommy

Answer by aerisnmommy at 12:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Do you have a couple of days to just stay at home with him? I think going straight to underwear is good; but I think it's also important to teach him to tell you when he has to go. I would stop taking him to the potty altogether. Instead, watch him closely (you really have to be able to put other things aside for a couple of days for this to work). Stay home, watch him closely (I'd even put him in undies and a sweatshirt-- no pants) , you can remind him he needs to pee on the potty, but don't ask him constantly if he needs to go and don't take him there periodically. As soon as you see him starting to pee, scoop him up and sit him on the potty so that he finishes there. Don't raise your voice but remind him firmly that pee goes in the potty, not in his pants. Then reward him (very small reward and praise) if even a little pee makes it in the pot. After a couple/few days of this, he should be telling you every time. (cont'd
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• (cont'd) This method teaches them to recognize the "need to go" feeling and teaches them to be responsible for getting themselves to the potty. It worked on my daughter at 19 months and she wasn't showing many of the 'readiness signs' at all before we started.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2009