Hinduism

if there are any who practice hinduism on here, would you like to explain your religion? i've honestly always found it very confusing. I was just watching slumdog millionaire and I got curious about this religion. Wikipedia's explanation is bland and boring to read so I thought I'd ask on here.

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 10:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This book is a good start

http://www.amazon.com/Hinduism-Experiments-David-M-Knipe/dp/1577660110/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258876519&sr=8-1

Hinduism is a very peaceful religion.

I used to have a good typography of the Hindu gods and goddess but not on this computer. If I find it I will come back.

The alters set up in homes that ecodani is talking about are Pujas. Basically they have an icon of the god/goddess that they worship and it is bathed, clothed, fed, and entertained. They believe that they not only can see the god but also that it can see them.

You might want to try and get an understanding of MONISM first before going to deep into Hinduism or Buddhism. That way you are not like "I don't get this at all." You kind of need to understand monism to understand the others.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• We just watched that film this evening too. The main character and his brother were not Hindu. They were Muslim. Many people don't realize how many Muslims are in India. India was a Muslim country at the time of British colonization.

I'm not Hindu, but several of my friends are. Just like Christianity, there are many variations. The Durga Puja is the big holiday for most Hindu people-- the celebration of the goddess Durga. Like Christmas. Many Hindus have alters or rooms in their homes set up for the gods/goddesses they follow most closely. They often set out offerings of sweet foods, fruits, and juices for their gods daily.

Karma is the Hindu concept of "comeuppance" that westerners misunderstand the most. Karma follows you after this life and determines your next one. Many Hindus also believe the soul of the infant chooses it's parents and thus it's "cards in life" before birth.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I don't practice Hinduism (I do practice Buddhism, which grew out of Hinduism in a similar way to how Christianity grew out of Judaism) but I have read quite a bit about it and my dh's family are Hindu... if you have any specific questions I will try to answer them!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• ok- i'd love to know about buddhism too.

I was told buddhism is more of a philosophy in some aspects opposed to being a religion. is this true? if so could I be one religion and buddhist too? (just curious)

are there really different gods for every little think in hinduism?

are hindus peace full (for the most part) or do they have a lot of contention among other religions and denominations?
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 12:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Buddhism can be viewed as a philosophy because it doesn't have a lot of dogma or mythology underlying it- issues like whether there is a god and what that god might resemble are left up to individual practitioners. It is possible to apply Buddhist philosophy to your life while still practicing another religion... there is no conflict within Buddhism about that, though some other religions may take issue with it!

Hinduism is generally a peaceful religion, though like most religious groups there is always that fringe element, and there is sometimes violence between Hindus and Muslims in and around India. There are indeed a variety of Gods and Goddesses in Hinduism, though it isn't strictly polytheistic because there is a Supreme God (Brahma) who encompasses all things. It's not uncommon for people to have one God/Goddess who they worship specifically, with the underlying understanding that all are one anyway.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Hinduism is a small element in my religious practice & I have studied it historically. It is a confusing religion, partly because it grew up over thousands of years over a vast area. Even now, though it is consolidated, there are very strong regional influences on exactly how Hindus practice their religion. I am going to look into the book OneToughMami suggested, I am always looking to understand Hinduism better.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• i would like to know if it's true that Hindus believe the penis to be a God. and i was passing a hindu temple once and the door was opened and they had a massive lavish mattress very nicely made not too far from the entrance. Is this something you see at all hindu temples? and what is the meaning of it or use of it?
    Anonymous

• Hindus do not believe the penis is a god. They believe that phallic symbols represent the god (or a specific god), specifically the regenerative process of the god. They also worship representations of female reproduction. The mattress was probably a place for a god statue to set (they move them around pretty regularly so that is why it would have been empty).

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Another really good book is The Essentials of Hinduism.
    I read that(a small part of my practice is Hinduism as well)and it was very easy to read and I really enjoyed it a lot.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2009