Do any of you have moms that deliberately push your buttons?

Why do they do this? Especially if you're pregnant? And then get upset when you get upset, but it's like they forget that your hormones are wild. For example, I told my mom that some of the things my 3 and 1 year old do are frustrating. And she then proceeds to tell me that I don't spend enough 1 on 1 time with them, they're acting out for attention and it's not their fault I'm pregnant, I'm their mom and shouldn't get frustrated at the things they do. Isn't it fair that I'm a human being and have emotions, or does being a mom void me of allowing to feel anything but constant joy and smiles? She knew how upsetting it would be for me to hear that basically I'm a "bad mom"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe I should give you my mom's number to give to her. Then the 35 times each day my mom calls to have a panic about how I'm a terrible pregnant person, maybe for half of those your mom could distract her?

Stop answering her calls. Tell her flat out, "I only have time today to hear supportive things from you. If you can't do that, we'll talk tomorrow."

Other phrases I've tried:
    It's my child. I can warp it if I choose to.
    I spend enough time with my head in the toilet, I really don't need to hear this sh*t from you.
    You want to be a good grandma starting today? Then STOP xyz.
    Do NOT send me another article on xyz pregnancy complication. It's bad for the baby for you to get me upset.

Good luck. You're a good mom. Everyone has a crazy person in her family. You're not it!!!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my mom does the same thing to me when i say i get frustrated sometimes when my son crys alot or when i didnt get to sleep for the first 3 months, i told her i would get really frustrated in the middle of the night - and she just says that she never ever gets frustrated. & it would upset me too, but i dont really think she does it on purpose. they just love us or something, and they love our kids. i dont think theyre really trying to push our buttons.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Yes she does! I think she does it because she knows it pisses me off!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Anytime I want to vent about something my three year old did, or the lack of sleep cuz of the 4 month old, or sickness of the pregnancy, all my mother wants to say is she did it. To quit whining. And "what are you going to do when the next one is here?" Its like, just shut up and listen and let me vent! She loves to criticize how I'm raising my kids, and my 3 year old don't listen because of me. He don't listen to her, cuz she dont make him. She seems to forget the part where I practically raised my brothers, but "she did it" all alone and I have my DH. I swear somethimes my mother lives in her own little world, and believes no matter wat anyone says she was a perfect mother. Blah!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2009