If you only had $5 to spend on each child what would you buy them and what would you do to make their day special?

I am a host mom for 5 kids in my childs school who are poverty level. They ask us to spend $5 on each kid aged 5-8. It is an anon donation. I'd like to do something nice and special but have no ideas in such a low price range. They make a big deal that it can't be more because they don't want to discourage parents who can only afford $5 to be discouraged from helping these kids at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Holidays

• If you're brave enough to venture out on black friday, you can get some great deals. Walmart has $5 barbies, 10 pack of hotwheels. Target has Yahtzee Jr. Here's a good one, Toys R Us has a big bucket of animals or dinosaurs by Animal Planet for $5. They also have Animal Planet games, Monopoly Town (and other games), plus some action figures. Lots of options! You can get way more for your money, even if it's early and crazy!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Crayons and a coloring book, hot wheels or matchbox cars, markers, books, McDonald's Dollars. Target's $1 section has some great stuff - scrapbook kits for girls. There is a lot of stuff you can do!! we just got some $5 dvd's for our kids for christmas!! That is what we are spending on our own kids this year.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I thought about the $5 dvds from Walmart but then I was thinking well what if they don't have a Dvd player or even a tv... Those are some great suggestions. McDonalds bucks might be good I bet those kids don't get to buy happy meals. Then they would have a full belly and a toy to play with...
    Anonymous

• I would think markers or playdough even. Coloring books or other kinds of books. I know there's some things at Target like animals and stuffed animals.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• i would try to get 5 things that were a dollar. that way they would have more to open and more to play with, that is so sad. :(
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 7:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2009