Weird question of the day! How do you teach a kid to use scissors??

My son scares me to death every time I try to teach him how to use scissors. I guess I just don't know how to explain it to him! He starts kindergarden next fall and they said he has to know how by then so I need pointers! Where can you buy those scissors that have no blade that are just plastic only? I have looked everywhere and can't find any. Did they stop making them or something? All I kind find is what they call safety scissors but that just means it is a curved instead of pointy tip which can still cut off fingers! Eeek help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Look for a playdough set, they have scissors in them that are plastic but can't cut anything but playdough. We have a couple pairs and my kidspracticed with those before we started on real safety scissors.

My daughter's preschool teacher told us last year that she tells kids to hold their thumbs up toward the ceiling while they cut, and when they started out cutting out shapes on the dotted lines, she made a tiny X on the edge of the paper and asked the kids to keep their fingers of the other hand on the X so they would be out of the way of the scissor blade.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I was going to say playdoh set, too. Or you can try these.  They are guaranteed not to cut skin or hair.

http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535165

07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 11:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Even cut playdoh with the regular safety scissors. I had my kids do that all the time when I taught preK. Have him make a snake with the playdoh and then cut it up. The playdoh is stiff so it keeps the scissors upright. Helps a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Usually right before school they sell the scissors they require for kindergarten, I would check somewhere that sells specifically to teachers like The Learning Tree even Walmart or Dollar Store may carry some of those. But the best way to teach is to demonastrate, I remember teaching my son and it's scary but he'll catch on the more he uses them! Good Luck!
    67mermaid

Answer by 67mermaid at 3:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My 3 year old's OT taught him by repeatedly helping him hold them correctly, letting him do the snipping and she held the paper. (When she started doing it, I started working with him, too) Once he had the snipping down a little better, then she started having him use the other hand to hold the paper.

He's using the "safety scissors". Those plastic ones won't cut much except playdoh...and that's not helping him learn to cut along lines to cut something out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• OH...and it took quite a few months for my son to get it...but consider he was 3 and has a moderate fine motor skill delay.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Teach him to put his thumb in the small hole and 3 fingers in the "big side." Then practice cutting straight lines that you draw or print copies from the internet. Make sure he is using lefty scissors if needed. Good luck!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Let him use real scissors. They make ones that cut paper only. Start out by letting him cut playdough, this will build his small motor control that is needed for a lot of actvities. Then move on to cutting different kinds of lines(you can print these online or get a book of scissor skills), then move on to simple shapes (squares, circles, rectangles and triangles) then move on to more complicated shapes and objects. Give him junk mail and let him cut it into tiny pieces. He should have these skills before he goes to Kindergarten.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My middle daughter learned in kindergarten. She's 7 and still has a hard time with them. I refuse to sit in the same room as her when she is cutting because she makes me nervous. She still uses safety scissors and has only nicked herself twice in all her years but she can't cut a straight line to save her life and holds the big scissors wrong. In fact I trust my 3yo with the kitchen scissors more then I trust my 7yo.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Well my kids learned to use scissors young....I always did lost of arts and crafts with them and even by pre k they had good motor skills. I like the suggestion of cutting play doh to start though.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2009