How much did your tattoo cost?

Just getting a general idea. I am getting a half sleeve done soon. YES, I am going to ask the Tattoo artist. Just getting an idea before i go.

Has anyone gotten a sleeve done, or large tattoo.

How much did it cost you.

Could I see a pic too!

Thanks

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• My flower on my back cost 150...the artist took 50 off because it was a gift from my mom and dad who know him very well.

My Aum on my ankle was 40.

My daughter's name on my wrist was 90.

My opening lotus on my forearm was 125.

I am getting a half sleeve too :-) my lotus was the first piece.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• If you're looking at getting a half sleeve unless you know someone personally you should be looking at no less than $1000.. All depends on the time it takes, how many sittings, color/no color, etc
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 2:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• most artists charge by the hour, not the job. In general, you should pay no less than $100 an hour.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 6:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Oh- and my 4"x3" flaming heart was $300... DH's stars were $190... my backpiece will end up being at least 1000 but probably much more by the time its all done. Sometimes they will cut you a deal based on the work, how much you let them customize, so on and so forth. Helps to have friends in the business.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 6:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Well, you get what you pay for. I have about a 5 in. tattoo on my left arm that cost me around $250 but that was 8 years ago. I got it re-done for around $150, if I remember correctly. But....my friend got a portrait done by this very famous woman in Santa Barbara and hers cost over $800. It is true that most artists charge by the hour.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My biggest one was $250. The size was $200, but they tacked on the $50 cause it's on the back of my neck. I am working on getting my arm done, but not all at once. So I don't know how much it will be. I have 6 tattoos, and I can't remember how much the rest cost.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I'm getting ready to get a sleeve done too! I'm getting a full sleeve though. I'm interested to see the replies this gets because I've been wondering about this too. The shop I'm going to is having a deal right now for the holidays, $150 for the outline of the full sleeve. I think that's a lot for just the outline, but then again I don't know anything about tattoo prices lol. After that it'll be a min. of $100 each time I have to go back to have it finished/colored in. The good thing about it is at least I don't have to pay it al at once. It's kind of like tattoo layaway lol!
    ashnevlex

Answer by ashnevlex at 10:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• **ashnevlex** That actually sounds like a really good deal, I just hope that thats all it will cost for my half sleeve. I have read some posts about people paying in the thousands for sleeves. Being that I am only getting my half sleeve, I hope it will be no more then 500$. I also live in Okinawa, Japan, and I am excited to go looking around at some of their tattoo shops!

I will be here for 2 years, so I have plenty of time to save money and get the whole thing done by the same artist, which is my goal. Being that it takes more then one sitting for a sleeve, I want the same person to do it.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 12:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My tatoo by the time its done will cost 1000. but its going to be well worth it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• This was good info for the future. I was lucky and have a life long friend who tattoo's. He's awesome. I got a decent sized one on my back for free, well I tipped him $40. But, he said he owed me and couldn't charge me since I fed him home cooked meals he never even got as a child! HaHa...friends
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 9:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2009