my dd is 5 months old and I am wondering when i should get her ears pierced? I have heard different things. Please share your thoughts and experience. Is it better to wait, is there harm in doing too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have waited with my girls and prefer to wait. It is their body and their decision, not mine. I can pierce what I want on mine. My mom let me choose when I was old enough to care for the ears, and realize it was something that may never grow over, and may scar. Also in young young children they can become off center as their earlobes grow. Personally I would wait but that comes from a mom with multiple piercings, and who believes a child should decide their own body modifications when they are old enough to understand.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My mom got my ears pierced at 3 months and I am so glad she did cuz I would've never gotten it done! I'd be too chicken! But do whatever you think is best for your child!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I did all 3 my girls at 6 weeks :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• 3 months,, that when they get there tecnits shot
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I have heard that there are benefits to waiting-- like that babies like to pull them out, they close up, get infected, choking hazard... I know some moms have re-pierced a couple of times and eventually let it go.

But I have not done it because I feel that my DD needs to want it done, I don't want to force this on her. It will be a coming of age experience. She will decide when (currently says when she's about 9 or 10, so a couple of years). AND then she will care for it herself. ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think it's best to wait until she wants earrings. In any case, at any age, I recommend going to a licensed piercer that uses a needle rather then a gun.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009