Is nap time over?

How do you know when it's time to stop giving naps?

My 2 year old (nearly 27 months) Didn't take a nap today. She laid in bed for 3 hours and did not sleep. Then she got up and went on with her day as if nothing had happened. She wasn't overly grouchy or whiny, but she did fall asleep while we watched a video together about 30 minutes before her normal bed time... she has been laying in bed for longer periods of time before her nap, and since she just didn't take one today, I'm beginning to think it may be time to let it go as a trade for an earlier bed time... What do you think? Any scientific studies on this?

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 12:13 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think the only way to really know is by trail and error. Give her a 1 hour rest time. If she is not asleep within that hour then she can get up and play. As long as she isn't too grouchy and ill then keep doing this for about a week, but let her go to bed at a earlier time too. Some days she may still need a nap while other days she may not. My 5 year old still takes naps most days but some days he may stay up but go to bed earlier (like tonight), however, he will get up earlier in the morning and chances are he will take a nap tomorrow since he got up earlier.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:19 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think a two year old is still too young not to have a nap. But an awake quiet time is ok for awhile. Maybe today was different and she'll sleep again tomorrow. Maybe if you just start calling it "quiet time" rather than "nap time" it will transition, and then you can shorten it as you see she's not sleeping. I think even when kids don't need to sleep, it's still good to have a lull in their day.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:19 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think it's best for kids to nap until a later age...4? But, I'm not sure how that all works. I agree w/ JeremysMom about trial and error. "Quiet Time" is still a necessity, but perhaps not forcing the issue of sleep.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Kids are so different... my daughter was skipping naps frequently at about your daughter's age, but we pushed through it (requiring her to take a nap/rest time every day regardless of her wishes -- sometimes she'd sleep, sometimes not), and now, a few months later, she's napping every single day she's home without a murmur (she's in nursery school 2 days a week until 2:30 and rarely sleeps during their "rest time" but most of the kids in her class don't). Be careful with the "trade-off" idea you're thinking of... kids sometimes have their own plans for this... we wondered if foregoing the nap would buy us a few more minutes of sleep in the morning, but no such luck. She is actually more likely to sleep in (for us, that means 6:30 or 6:45) if she has had a good nap that day.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2009