Thawing a Roaster Chicken (and cooking, too!)

I have a full chicken in my freezer that I'd like to cook tomorrow. I have never done a whole chicken and don't know the first thing about it. First of all, how and how long does it take for me to thaw this thing? I don't think I can just put it in the microwave. Do I just put it on the counter overnight? Or, will it thaw entirely by the time I need to put it in tomorrow, if I just put it in the fridge? Then, how do I cook it? I have a metal roaster pan thing with a lid. Do I use the lid? Do I add water? How long does it need to cook?
What do I do with this bird?? Help! Lol. Thanks ladies :-)

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It takes a few day to thaw one in the fridge. Dont thaw it on the counter or you could get food poisoning. The microwave wont work either. If you want to thaw itquickly, you can soak it in a sink full of water, just keep it wrapped up.
    When you open it, you will need to reach in and tak out the "innards'...gross, I know, but they are loose and will come out easily. (Some people actually cook these parts, so they include them, YUCK!) Then, rinse it really well, inside and out.
    You can put it in the roaster and bake it in the oven, but leave the lid off. It's nice to rub some spices on the outside, and if you cut an onion into quarters and stuff it inside the bird, it adds a lot of flavor. -- you dont need to eat the onion, just let it cook with it. Check it from time to time, the juices should be clear when you poke into it, and if you have a thermometer that would be great. I'm guessing about an hour, depending on the size.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• If you have a crock-pot, that is my favorite way to cook a whole chicken.
    Prepare it like above, crinkle up about 5-6 balls of foil, and put them on the bottom of the crock-pot, then place the chicken on top. Cook it on low for about 8 hours, or on high for approx 4-5 hours. The meat is soooo tender and juicy and literally falls off the bone. You wouldnt believe how yummy and how easy it is. Plus, it makes your house smell good all day long!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I don't know if this is correct? I've doine this since I was young! I got my first microwave at age 18. I've thawed every meat possible in my microwave! I followed the intructions for thaw! Newer ones have settings to thaw for fish, poultry or meat. I've never ever had a issue! Been doing it successfully for 30 years!! I thaw it according to the microwave's directions. When its done, being thawed. A chicken I see if there's any organ meats or the neck in either cavity. I take them out. As for the chicken I just season it with black pepper & paprika. Bake it at 350 until done! Maybe an hour or hours and a half depending on size! 'Til the juices run clear. In doubt use a thermometer and make sure its done! No big deal. None at all! If you like to use seasoning salt or a lemon pepper seasoning you can do that too. Just roast in a baking dish covered with aluminum foil or a Reynolds Baking bag is Great!! Good Luck ! You can do it
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2009