sleep....

ok i have a 15 month old baby, when she was little she slept just fine, now it takes her 2 HOURS to go to sleep, ive tried everything, ive tried waking her up early and not giving her naps all day, ive tried lavender, ive tried chamomile, ive tried holding her, swaddling her but she always gets out of it, nothing will relax her so she can go to sleep, she just thrashes around in bed and screams till she just cant anymore, im terrified shes gonna give herself a concussion with all the thrashing around and we cant see the doctor till december. someone told me about an herbal supplement that they give their children, and they take it themselves, its called melatonin and i was wondering if anyone has taken it or given it to their children and if it really worked, im going crazy, nothing works, if i take her out of her crib she wont even go to sleep somewhere else, and its driving me nuts!!!! im so afraid for her and tired...

x_tinky_x

Asked by x_tinky_x at 1:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What kind of bedtime routine does she have right now? Maybe it needs some tweaking to get her into a calm state and know it's time for bed.
    For my son his is a bath every night, then to his room with the lights dim, a couple of stories and couple of songs and then into bed he goes.
    We used to have a different routine and it wasn't working for him... he wouldn't go to sleep and he would wake up everynight 4-5 times until we found something that worked for him.
    I would also try putting her to be earlier... maybe she is overtired and she is just fighting sleep.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I wouldnt try that supplement without speaking to your peds doc can be dangerous!
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 1:39 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My DD always fights sleep as well. What finally worked for us was age (she just turned two) but also developing a calming bedtime routine. She has dinner, she runs around while I clean up, she has a bath, nurses, then we read 3 books. I did all of this before, but for some reason the reading just really helped~! Now instead of taking 45 mins it usually takes 20. I lay next to her and pat her back to help her sleep.

It sounds like your DD is overtired. Give her back her naps. Kids that age need at least 12 hours of sleep between nighttime and naps. What time does your DD go to bed? How long does she sleep for? What time does she nap at during the day?
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:42 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I can tell you right now, making her wake up before she's ready and keeping her from her nap will make it even worse. The most important thing is to keep her on a schedule. I've never had to use anything special. My daughter goes to bed between 9 and 10 and wakes up at 830...she takes a morning nap from about 1130-1 and an afternoon nap from 3-430...she's 15 months old. We have dinner around 7, bath at 730 and then playtime...soon as she starts rubbing her eyes, I know she's tired and we go up to bed and she takes her bottle (yes, her bottle) then she's out. But please don't keep her from her naps...babies that nap tend to sleep better at night. If she gets overtired, she won't easily fall asleep. good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• i agree with PP that it could be from being overtired so i think skipping naps, waking up early would just make things worse. i'd try an earlier bed time. sooo many parents have this struggle. my son went through it around 12 months and i just kept sticking with it, not letting him get back up and play, he had to be held in the rocking chair, or in his bed until he went to sleep. after a month of extremely frustrating bed times, now he usually goes right to sleep. i hope you can figure something out that works because i know how frustrating that can be. :(
    Anonymous

• btw my son always needs to go to bed sooo early. my dad always gets on my nerves acting like we shouldn't put him to bed so soon but that is when he is truly ready for bed. i wish he'd stay up later. now that the time just changed, he is usually in bed before SEVEN! i hate it. i wish he'd stay up until 8. well he sleeps from about 7-6:30
    Anonymous