Why do you believe?

To anyone who believes in any deity... why do you believe what you do? Were you raised to? Did you have an illness that disappeared suddenly one day? Did you have an epiphany? Are you simply afraid of what will happen if you don't believe?

This is an honest question, I am not asking for the sake of bashing anyone. I am an athiest and I can't really think of any situation which would make me believe there is a higher power... but I am interested to hear how people came to think/feel/believe as they do.
And please don't just say "the Bible" as an answer...

Koukla12905

Asked by Koukla12905 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I used to believe in God because my parents do. Then when I was 14 or 15, I realized that my parents would drop my sister and me off at church, go have breakfast, and pick us up when it was over. That was a WTF moment.
    Now I'm an atheist; like you, I can't think of any situation that would make me believe there is a higher power.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:13 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Im sorry you believe that way now, Im sorry that your parents drop you off at church and not supported you and your sister... but I hope your doing well
    margodod

Answer by margodod at 2:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I've never had any divine incidences that would prove to me that there's a higher power. I listen, ohhhh boy I listen and listen and listen, I even give praying a shot a few times a month. Nothing ever returns. Nada. Zip. Zilch. No comprende. So until Jesus or a god shows up to me in the flesh and says "Caitlin, lookie here, I'm real! Ooh!" Then I'm remaining skeptical...IE, an agnostic atheist =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I was raised to believe in God. But now I am afraid of what will happen to me, I don't want to die for all eternity I want to be in heaven, but I guess I'll have to have faith that God will save me.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:39 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• my mother was raised catholic, and my father's side was raised southern baptist. after coming of age, and asking questions that could never be fully answered, I decided to just talk to God myself. I got books on spirituality and the afterlife, psychics and mediums, and something just clicked in my head. I do believe in God, and Jesus Christ and his teachings, but just focus on the words of wisdom, compassion, and love rather than fear, judgement, and punishments. After all, if God knows everything we do, and gives us free will, how could he ever be surprised or mad at something we do? Im not saying that to be a child molester or pedophile is ok, but I believe as long as you try to live your life in good faith, and with an open and loving heart, you will definitely make it to heaven to witness God's beautiful kingdom of heaven.
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 2:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I don't really believe in a Deity - at least not in the way that Christan's do (or Jew's & Muslims for that matter) I used to pray to God, Pray to God thruJesus, Pray to Jesus - about some very important stuff. I truly believed they would help me. But nothing ever came of it, no reassurance, no calm feeling, no simple sign, never felt it in my hart, Nothing, Nada. I felt guilty that I wasn't praying right, I wasn't good enough in some way - It was very depressing. Imagine your father not communicating with you in any way, and you don't know why, and he will not tell you no matter how sincerely you ask him to. So I let it go. Now, I look for purpose and order in science and nature. And, I feel so much more at ease, I have peace in my heart - and what a wonderful feeling it is!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 3:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I believe in God and Goddess. I had experiences that led me to this spiritual path. I don't believe in dogma tho. I think we each find our own path in our own way, the one that is right for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• In my life and experiences I have to believe. I have to believe that there is a reason for us to be here on this earth, going through these trials....if there is no higher power and we are truly alone and there is no one higher...no hope for a future, then what's the point?

We are just here to live and die? The end?

I look to the Bible for answers and there, i find hope. I was raised in a church and I have to say that it was just routine for a really long time because there was too much focus on rules and such, but now, as an adult I have gone looking for answers, and the answers that I am finding click for me. They just...make since. Not because of my upbringing, but because I have really dug and searched and that's what my heart tells me is the truth.

It gives me hope. It makes me not feel so alone. I have had a few experiences along the way that there is no explanation other than, Christ. It has to be. I have to believ
    MamaCass07

Answer by MamaCass07 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• why do you believe what you do? It makes the most sense to me & works for my life. My beliefs about the gods are unusual & I don't feel that it is terribly important that my understanding be correct.

Were you raised to? No, I was raised with no talk about gods or religion in our home.

Did you have an illness that disappeared suddenly one day? Did you have an epiphany? Are you simply afraid of what will happen if you don't believe? No illness, no fear & I am not sure I would say I had an epiphany, exactly, I worked it out kinda slowly, though there was a moment when I went "yes! that makes sense!"

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I was raised attending Sunday School, Church and bible classes etc... dropped out of the whole religious thing for a long time, then when my children came along put them in private school and again tried to walk in the Christian religion and just didn't click just like it didn't click when I was younger... I can't believe in a single deity being all that without a balance...to me it just doesn't make any sense to have a single sex deity...or a book of rules to tell you what you can and can not do bc a deity told you have too... (no offense to anyone)
    I believe in a Mother Goddess and a Father God (not any-one phathon of deities) in a balance of a whole...
    I follow the Wiccan Religion and practice Witchcraft....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2009