Can i do this while breastfeeding?

I have a question...I HATE the dentist with a passion but my wisdom teeth are killing me to the point where i can barely sleep at night. And i was wondering, can I get knocked out while Im breastfeeding or will that effect my milk? I really i hope i can cause I cant take much more, i kno i gave birth and i dealt with that but this is killing me!! ha!

misssababe1128

Asked by misssababe1128 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes pump and dump for 24hrs... Or dont get knocked out have them numb all areas and give you a percocet thats what i did and it worked just fine!
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 1:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes, and you don't need to P&D at all. http://kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Get the work done - nurse right before you do it and make sure that you have some stored milk for baby to use while you are out of commission (1 ounce per hour you will be away). Once you are awake, it's fine to nurse again, so there is no reason to pump and dump.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:55 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Talk to the oral surgen and let them know. I had my appendix out while breast feeding and they HAD to knock me out for it (it was an emergency). If you have advance notice you can try to pump up enough to store in the freezer for a few days before you go and have it done. Then ask the pediatrician if it is necessary to pump and dump (somethings metabolize out of the body on their own).

There's no need to live in misery! Just prepare in advance if you can :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• If they have to be cut out, you'll probably NEED to be knocked out. If they just have to be pulled, local will be okay. However, you need to talk to the oral surgeon.

Why risk it because some website says it's "okay"? Store up and make sure the baby will have GOOD, DRUG FREE milk. You don't have a clue right now what drug they will use anyway!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I had surgery while breast feeding-they used a local with sedation.
    I fed stored milk for 12 hours and pumped and dumped.
    Do be aware that if you are fussy about it, you might have to not get the
    "good" painkillers. i used just Tylenol, because although I was told I could use
    stronger medications, i just wasn't comfortable doing so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• When I had to get a tooth removed while breastfeeding, the oral surgeon and my doctor consulted with each other to make sure that they gave me something safe. You should get it taken care of, though!
    momma3kids

Answer by momma3kids at 8:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Ask your doctor or lactation consultant at your local hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Do you want them pulled or just filled?
    Why knocked out?

I had one pulled after having my baby--- NO big deal at all.
    Just a local to numb and *one* regular Tylenol.
    That was IT.
    Getting knocked out seems like a big deal.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:06 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Call the Dentist and ask. It is his/her job to know that for fact and is much safer than asking a bunch of women on line who are not medical professionals.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2009