How reliable is the Entertainment Software Rating Board's rating system on video games?

My son loves to play video games, and I was just wondering if the ESRB's rating system is really effective. I hear of violence being caused by kids playing video games, and I sure don't want my kid to be exposed to violent video games. If anyone has suggestions, opinions, or even if anyone found a video game that is questionably rated, please let me know. I'm researching this topic for a college paper, as well as for the well-being of my son. Thank you!

GreenTurtle0409

Asked by GreenTurtle0409 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Entertainment

• Violent kids are not caused by violent video games, they're caused by bad parents (and conveniently, bad parents will ALWAYS blame the video games they bought and paid for before they will ever admit they suck as parents).

As for the ratings, they are entirely accurate offline, but they include the disclaimer that once the game is played online content may be worse than the rating. What that means is they can control the game itself, but they cannot control what the other adults your child plays with online say or do, including what language they use. FWIW - the adults playing online don't really want your child there anyway, so it's better for everyone if you keep your kids offline where the ratings are always accurate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Thank you for your help!
    GreenTurtle0409

Answer by GreenTurtle0409 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2009