Can a single mother raise a little boy succesfully?

I have a 3 yr old wonderful little boy, but ive recently decided to leave his father and boyfriend of 6 yrs ...Im 25 and ive had enough of this relationship..he is a great father but not a good boyfriend...never has been, hes cheated and just an endless list of bad stuff..i know this went on for too long but i was stupid and sadly my life revolved around his, i lost myself...well not anymore im moving out next week and i find myself scared that this will affect my son..i know everybody tells me it wont affect my son..but i feel as it will..hes very close to him...calls out for him every morning, wants to play cars with him, wants to have dinner next to him, wants to sleep next to him...so im worried of how this will affect him...were ending in good terms so he will see him still but i feel it will have a long term effect..like now then when hes like 10 and when hes 17...i feel like a bad mother....any feedback!
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• There are lots of single mothers out there, and for the most part, they all do the very best they can. It sounds like you're one of those moms - You'll be fine!! :) Kudos to you for seeing that this relationship was not good for you, and an even bigger kudos for recognizing that even though your ex wasn't a good boyfriend, he's still a good father! Yes, things will change for all of you, and yes, your son's life will be changed - but it will be for the better. He will have a mom who is happier with herself and, possibly in the future, with someone who is really good for her. He will still get to see his dad and spend time with him. And he will adjust to not being able to see him as often as before. My parents divorced when I was 6 and it was the best thing that could have happened to our family. There were trying times, and it wasn't always fun, for sure, but I know that my mom made the right decision for all of us.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes a single mom can successfully raise a wonderful son. I did it. But it sounds like his dad is going to remain involved with him so you won't have to do it all by yourself. It's good dad has a relationship with your son. Boys need good male role models just as much as girls need female role models. Good luck.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 3:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My best friend was raised by his single mother & he is one of the most caring, thoughtful guys out there. My SO was also raised by his single mother & I think he is the most wonderful man alive. My brother was raised by our single mother & he is smart, talented, and extremely well-adjusted. You and your son will be fine!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Well, it WILL affect him, but that doesn't have to be in a bad way. He will adapt to the changes. You parents will be supportive of a positive environment. You can be more open to playing with him, and be sure his daddy has plenty of play time, too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• As long as he has exposure to other men in your family, maybe. Too many little boys are being raised around all women and turning out gay. They have no male influences. Just let him spend plenty of time with grandpa or uncles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

You have got to be kidding me.        IF you had a brain you would be dangerous. 

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 9:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• sounds like you be a single mom,,, but that dad will still be envolved in his life. Don't worry, you'll do fine.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• No, it is the right choice for you to leave a relationship that isn't working. Especially if your BF has made bad choices in the relationship. You can be a great single mom if you choose to be. You have to make that choice that it will work out. If you doubt yourself, you're leaving yourself open to make bad choices. Have confidence in what you are capable of doing. You aren't going to be any different of a mom if you have a boyfriend or don't have a boyfriend. It's good that his father will still be in his life, your son will appriciate that you two are keeping it civil between you.

Don't listen to anon 8:47. Regardless if you believe Gay is a choice or not, kids do not turn gay because they're raised by women. I know MANY guys who were raised by mothers and grandmothers and are straight. Don't buy into her hype.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Thanks for the feedback everyone even the one i dont really agree with...i dont believe the way you raise your child has anything to do with the outcome of his sexuality i believe their born like that and cant help it...but thats a whole different subject....not that it would matter what he turned out to be as long as hes happy, thats what matters to me..Once Again Thanks ladies for the comments! =)
    Anonymous