If the health care bill passes, the CBO says it will cost $800-some billion, yet

it will cut the deficit. I took math in HS and in college, but I guess this is some kind of new math, because I do not understand how this works. Can anyone explain it for me?

29again

Asked by 29again at 2:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It will supposedly cut the amount of the deficit that WOULD HAVE accumulated by the end of ten years if the bill had NOT passed.

Not that I buy it, that's just what I understand them to be saying.

You are entirely correct that it is inventive math - you know, like when some program is slated to receive a 5% increase in its budget every year, and someone proposes giving it only a 3% INCREASE, then critics howl that they are trying to "CUT" funding for that program.

I wish reporters would quit focussing on the costs of this bill and read the thing and connect the dots about the incredible suppression of our health care which it puts into place.

Clauses like requiring hospitals and doctors to get gov't permission before getting new equipment or expanding - are ONLY about control and not in the least about improving care.

Or the tax on medical devices - it'll only suppress advancements by the manufacturers.

It's
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It's not a done deal yet.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I just "hope" that we can "change" enough minds to defeat this mockery of health care.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

***

Oh, you mean like the stimulus bill?! Yeah, that worked out well. LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It is $124 billion less than the House bill because they took the provision out that deals with bringing the medicare/medicaid payments to doctors into line. That is a $200 billion program  that is in the calculations of Pelosicare but separate in Reidcare. It is all smoke and mirrors. It is inconceivable that a $1 trillion dollar entitlement will "bring down the deficit". It's like going shopping, finding something on sale that you really didn't need, and telling your husband you just saved $100. No you didn't. You actually spent $100 you didn't need to spend. And how will mandating insurance bring down health care cost?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It's called opportunity cost ladies. That is how they are figuring the math. It is commonly used in accounting.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 8:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It's like going shopping, finding something on sale that you really didn't need, and telling your husband you just saved $100.

LMAO! I use that logic on my hubby all the time!! Difference is, I'm not running a country!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Lori - that is why men are buying this hook, line, and sinker and why most women understand the logic. The problem is, most of the country doesn't want it. So the Congress are our parents telling us that "you will do as I say". CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yep most of the country does not want this bill to pass but the dems ignore most of the country
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• The country does want it. It is just those who are bitching about it are the ones who are the loudest. America is the ONLY industrialized country without some type of universal healthcare. Why is it only America sees healthcare as a privilege instead of a right?

There is nothing wrong with this bill except for the provision that there would be tax increases on those who want cosmetic surgery and this includes those who are transgender and for them it isn't really cosmetic. Other than that all it does it make insurance affordable for all and makes it so that everyone has insurance plus adds tax increases to tax companies, drug makers, etc.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2009