Would you take this as rude??

I feel kinda bad for thinking about throwing something at an old lady, but...I was at Wally World earlier in the makeup/skin care aisle. This nice looking older lady was in a motorized cart, and a lady was with her. They were discussing whether or not Equate was good or not. I said, "yeah, some stuff is just the same," cuz I use some Equate brand skin care. She said, "Oh, I'll trust you, cuz you have such a pretty complexion." I have gotten that compliment before. I'm 29 and I take care of my skin. Always have. I use sunscreen, and I stay out of the sun. No tanning beds, anything like that. I said thank you then she said, "I guess you've been too scared to get those moles removed, though." I just said yeah and hurried away. I am very self conscious about moles on my face. I have "beauty marks" by my mouth that don't bother me, but I have a big mole by my hair line that I hate. WTF lady...make me feel like sh*t.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL. This is called a BACK HANDED COMPLIMENT- a compliment that is followed by an insult. These run rampant in the south. And older ladies are the worst about it. There's a saying you can say anything as long as it's preceded by bless your heart. For example Bless your heart those moles are hideous. Totally absurd and annoying to deal with. Try having that old lady as your grandmother! I was around 9 months prego all swollen etc. and my grandmother was like Well hey fat girl! I haven't seen you in so long and gave me a hug. I actually wanted to laugh I mean who really makes fun of a relative like that anymore. And as for your moles screw them beauty marks are gorgeous and I'm sure you are too. Jealousy is all it is. They're mad because they're all wrinkled and pruney. You should have said Oh I guess your to scared to get those sun spots taken care of or get botox for your wrinkles.
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 12:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yikes...maybe she meant that you should probably get them removed (skin cancer?) but have been too scared to do it? I have noticed that many older people think all moles need to be removed asap. The funny thing is, I've only known one with a history of skin cancer! Some people just don't realize that moles don't automatically mean skin cancer!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• at least you didn't throw something at her i would have felt the same way but i would have shrugged it off because nobody is perfect i'm sure she had some imperfecions as well
    dawnreynolds

Answer by dawnreynolds at 2:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I find that some old ladies just say whats on there mind... I've heard some whisper when I walk by and they point cuz they think I'm a teen mom (I'm actually 24... made a poll about it lol) I just brush it off and keep walking. It's just they way they are. I wouldn't take too much offence to it. I'm sure you're gorgeous :)
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 2:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I sure don't think I'm gorgeous especially tonight...the wolves are out. Anyhow, she looked at me like I'd grown a third eye or something right there in front of her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Oh man, what a way to be 'complimented!' Yikes! Some people are just so outspoken that they don't realize the impact of the words that pop out of their mouth.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• id take it as a rude comment. i mean, really, did she have to say that? old people are bitches!
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 8:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Get the one that bothers you removed or somehow, cover it with your hair etc. If it didn't bother you in the first place, her comment wouldn't have sparked you feeling bad about yourself. She doesn't know you from Eve and she was a little too honest for the situation. You would feel so much better without it, only because it bothers YOU so much.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Sometimes as people get older their manners revert. It was kind of rude, but she may not have realized it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• She said she hated one in her hair line, so its obvious that its going to bother her if someone says something about it. That doesn't mean its ok that the old bat said something. It costs money to get moles removed and sometimes insurance won't cover it, if they decide its more cosmetic than prevent cancer. I might have said something rude back, but that's just me. I hate when people do that...compliment, then say something hateful like the compliment makes it ok.
    Anonymous