My mom

my mom keeps telling and emailing me stuff about how much pregnant women need to get the H1N1 vaccine .. Did u get it? im 32 weeks prego and she said i need to get it before i go in to have the baby cause me and the baby would be covered on it.. Should I get it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I really think it's going Doctor-by-Doctor, because my OB advised me NOT to get it while pregnant. I'm 41 weeks now & I was told this at 38 weeks, so I don't think his concern was me going into pre-term labor. If you do not want to get it, keep up on eating well, washing your hands, and make sure you stay away from any sick people. Obviously there are certain things you can't avoid, like picking something up off a shelf at the grocery store, but you can go through the store & not put your hands on your mouth, nose, or ears until you wash them again. And of course, keep taking your pre-natal vitamins!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I'm not sure if you should get it... I'd talk to your doctor. I know that where I live, there was a few death cases reported from a bad batch of the vaccine but I know a few ladies that have had it with no side effects. I did not get it when I was pregnant although the flu was not as bad then as it was now. There was only a few cases at that time (in July). good luck :)
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 2:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• While I was pregnant my OB strongly suggested that I get it along with the normal flu vaccine. I wasn't able to get it while I was pregnant, either of them. But at my DS 2 week wellness check they gave it to me since I am breastfeeding he'll get it through me, they also gave it to SO. I'll get the regular flu vaccine once they get more in, they ran out a little over a month ago and haven't been able to get more in. So far we haven't had any side effects.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 2:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes, you should get it. However, your LO will not receive the benefits. Flu, or flu vaccines for that matter, do not pass through the uterus. You can't have the flu-mist though. The H1N1 vaccine is made just like the seasonal flu shot, so there is nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• do research online there have been cases of miscarriage and pre term labor from the h1n1 vaccine.Also the manufacturers insert for the vaccine clearly states that pregnant women should not get it because they have done no testing or research on the effects to pregnant women/ unborn child. Thats just my opinon. Take extra vit c and wash your hands:)
    MrsRudd

Answer by MrsRudd at 9:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Mrs.Rudd I'll have to strongly disagree with you on this one. Where did you find that pregnant women shouldn't get it? That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. Its killing pregnant women and children everyday because our immune systems aren't as strong and can't fight it off!

I got both the regular flu and h1n1 shots. My Obgyn gave us the shot in his office, funny all the contriducting statements up here. Every single doctor and newscast, etc etc I've saw or read STRESS that pregnant women ESPECIALLY SHOULD get this shot to protect themselves and their babies from this flu. Its from the same manufacturer of the regular flu shot which we've been getting for years. I know that over 4000 people have died from the h1n1 flu and its attacking children and pregnant women. The so called "risks" outweigh death, which is what would happen if a pregnant women got this flu, so it wasn't even a debate for my husband and myself..
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I've heard ALOT of bad stuff about pregnant women getting it. MANY have miscarried. I for one, will not risk it.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2009