Faking or Real?

How can we tell if our daughter is faking her nightmares, or they are real? She's a happy child until bedtime. Her bedtime has always remained the same and lately, before she even gets to sleep, she'll pop out of her bdrm to tell us she's had a nightmare. We are sensitive to her feelings, but, are worried she's becoming clever enough to want to prolong her bedtime by doing this. How do we talk to her without telling her we think she's fibbing about the nightmares?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• my best friend her son does the same thing he is 9 years old, and he does it because he thinks he will get to stay up later if he fakes it,
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 3:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Hmm. My daughter did that too. I finally said, I understand nightmares and fear and they are real. But this is disobedience and it is unacceptable. You go to bed and stay there. If you have a true emergency or nightmare where you feel you truely need help, call me.
    She has not done it since.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:13 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My husband is buying it, and i'm not sold. He will go overboard to hear all about the nightmare and what color the "ghost" was and go up an lay down with her several times in a row just to assure her nothings there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I would tell her to go to bed, but not to sleep and to write in a journal about her ghosts. That way she is busy with her imagination yet still obeying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• i would show her what a real nightmare was , get a scary mask hide in her closet and booo! then i bet she wont come crying to you about it anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Get things like a dream catcher and tell her that all the bad dreams will get caught in there before they can get to her, buy a squirt bottle fill it with glitter and spray the bad dreams away. I think there' supposed to be another myth about ghosts not liking blue lights so get one of those in her room. Take all the precautions just in case she really is having nightmares. Offer to sleep in her room with her for a few nights and see if it persists.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I would leave paper and crayons by the bed and ask them to draw the things that scared them. Ask that they show them to you in the morning and talk about what was so scary about it. My daughter recently read a Junie B. Jones book called Theres a Monster Under My Bed. In the book they catch the monster by sucking him up in the vacuum, running over the vacuum bag with the car, and throwing it in the trash. Problem solved! If your child really needs to be that dramatic about it, play along but dont go over board.
    Setting bedtime an hour earlier may also help sway them. Tell them the importance of sleep and till the nightmares stop they have to go to bed at 7 instead of 8. If they are fibbing about the dreams they may realize that their plan didnt work and now they have to go to bed early because of it.
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 6:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Anon 3:49...really? So now when her child is having panic attacks it is your fault...How on earth COULD you get into a closet to scare your child...Jeeess, im glad your not my Mom!
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Get her a nightlight
    Anonymous

• Tell your husband he is rewarding her by laying with her and talking for so long after she says she had a nightmare. She probably likes the extra time she gets with her dad when she tells him she had a nightmare. Get her a nightlight or something and when she gets out of bed, walk her to her room but don't lay with her.
    Anonymous