Catholics what are your thoughts?

Please watch this 8 min video and comment
GOD BLESS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eyVb1uj8s

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Catholic but want to say thanks, very informative video.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• not trying to start anything but i think catholicism and satanism are hand to hand
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Anonymous
    not trying to start anything but i think catholicism and satanism are hand to hand

I think I see what you are saying. But by tomorrow you are going to have a lot of Catholics upset. Don't forget that it's freedom of speech. And, don't even think twice about it when they call you a hater. Catholics want to hang on to their beliefs because it goes way back. They have false comfort in being in such an old religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Wow. Taking some few phrases and twisting them much ??!

Let's see. The Pope said evolution was real. We kinda know that, so why is it controversial? What Darwin spoke about is observed routinely - species mutate & adapt to new environment conditions (giraffes used to have shorter necks)

-A belief in creation is no contradiction of evolution - Who do you think guides evolution?
    -Darwin does not claim that the mechanism of evolution was responsible for the creation of the different species of life. Some recent "Darwinists" (whom Darwin would not recognize) do claim that, but their silly claim doesn't invalidate evolution theory.

As to literal interpretation of the Bible, is there really an idea that because the word "day" is used, then Moses MUST have been talking about 6x24 hours? Come on ! Even in English, we use the words day, dawn, night for broader things than a period of hours ! In the original language this (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• (cont'd) For instance the word pneuma means both breath and spirit. One can readily understand how those two would be synonymous, right? Well, if a translator puts in the English word "breath", then a passage will carry an ENTIRELY different message than if "spirit" appeared in it.

So where does that leave the much-vaunted "literal" interpretation. I have NEVER heard that we Catholics are to lay down our intelligence and wait for the "Magisterium" which this video speaks of to interpret the Bible for us. Exploration and comparative study were taught in Catholic high school, not rigid doctrine from on high.

Who exactly is deciding what the Protestant denominations - who are so attacking Catholicism for its hierarchy - must believe when they read their Bibles? Is not the "literal interpretation" which is so exalted in this video getting handed down from on high? What's the difference?

I have participated in Bible study(cont)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• (cont'd) with an evangelical group, a Baptist group, and a Mormon group.

I did NOT see any freedom to explore the meanings of the words. Sometimes the phrases on the page didn't even actually SAY what the denomination's doctrine decreed that they read it as.

It was quite astonishing to me. I had joined the group for fellowship in discussing one or another Gospel. I was eager to explore with them the TRUTH behind the words. But that was not an option ! Each Bible verse already had its official, dogmatic interpretation.

And they are accusing because they think the Catholic higher-ups tell their followers what ot believe?!

First of all, it's a false accusation, and secondly - WHY should they criticize it when it is exactly what they do to THEIR followers??

Hey, for an example of dogmatic interpretation, read the two Jesus genealogies. List them side by side. Look for yourself, and then check the pretzel twisted official line
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I'm catholic and yes it is an old religion started by the first Disciples of Christ. I don't know why people fear evolution. If its Gods design who cares. We get so caught up in things that are not important to God. Jesus wanted us to love our neighbors as ourselves and I don't believe becoming entrenched in debates about creationism vs. evolution is important. Anyway that God chose to create the world is fine with me. I don't have to understand it all but I believe God is very capable of creating a wonderful world that would change over time if he wanted to. I’m humble enough to leave this up to God.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Why are the anti-Catholic posts always anonymous? Are you ashamed of your views?
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Not going to bother watching it, I can tell by the title of the video and by waldorfmom's comment it's a bunch of bull.

In logic there's an idea of a "strawman" fallacy where a person misrepresents the opponent's position and refuting the misrepresentation, giving the appearance that it was the opponent's position which has been refuted (when it hasn't).  It includes quoting an opponent's words out of context — i.e. choosing quotations which are intentionally misrepresentative of the opponent's actual intentions.  This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious, because attacking a distorted version of a position fails to constitute an attack on the actual position.  I suspect this is exactly what this video does.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Great answer Waldorfmom. Can't elaborate anymore. RyansMom they're afraid of mean notes left to them. We don't do that, but they themselves will send them to others. We know that in most cases it's not their fault that they have been taught falsely about the Catholic religion. So most times we just pray for them.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2009