Have you ever made Petit-Fours?

I'm thinking of attempting Petit-fours for the holidays, and was wondering if anyone else on here has made them before, and what your experience was like. I want to make a Peppermint/Chocolate combination and am looking at different recipes and trying to come up with my own.

Do you have any tips, favorite recipes?
What is the soaking syrup for?
I've seen recipes for using fondant, royal icing and even baking chocolate... which is easiest (or your favorite) in your opinion?

MamaSueCongdon

Asked by MamaSueCongdon at 3:11 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The soaking syrup is to seal all the crumbs and pores on your cake so that whatever you use on top will have a nice smooth finish.
    Fondant is very pretty but it tastes like ass and is ALOT of work,
    I would go for chocolate, you could even mix peppermint bark in with the chocolate coating. White chocolate would be pretty too.

Once your cake is ALL THE WAY COOLED, cut them into whatever size you want your cakes and brush the crumbs off, seal them with whatever it is your going to seal them with... i use apircott jelly. Let that dry for a little while and then place a cooling rack on top of a mixing bowl. Put a few cakes on the rack and pour whatever your top coating is over the cakes, pour lots and get it compleatly covered. The extra will drip down into the bowl and you can reuse it over and over so there is less waste.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 4:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Melt the coating/chocolate/fondant/whatever in small batches so that you can let the cakes sit on the cooling rack to dry for a little while before you try to move them. If you get a fingerprint in them trying to lift them off the rack theres not much that can be done. If you have more than one rack you can swap them back and forth.
    If your going to decorate on top of the icing let the coating cool for several hours, but not in the fridge... if you put them in the fridge they will sweat when you bring them back out to decorate them,

Good luck and have fun!
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 4:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Perfect advice!

Fondant is a miserable substance. I'll second that.

For the peppermint soaking syrup, I'd dissolve some candy canes to make it easy. Chocolate coating is the easiest. Use a chocolate with a high cocoa content-- I always use 70% + because it is so much smoother. And the idea of peppermint bark is pure magic.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Fondant doesn't have to taste bad. It's easy to make a marshmallow fondant that tastes really darn good. BUT, I'd stick with something like almond bark or candy melts to coat them. Sounds really yummy too after reading this - chocolate cake, peppermint schnapps, hmmm, lovely adult-only Christmas goodies, lol!
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the insight. I've never used or made fondant, and that's what all the recipes I've seen have called for so I'm glad to know you can use other stuff. :) I'll have to come back here and post a link to my blog with the results. :)
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 8:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2009