Chest compressions and a 7 month old

My sisters friends 7 month old stopped breathing tonight so she done cpr on him blew in his mouth once and the done a chest compression the kind you would do on an adult, but with one hand.
She then called my sister to talk to her about it, my sister said she needed to talk to the baby to the ER to see what is wrong with him and why he stopped breathing, (the baby was on a ventalatour for a day and then breathing treatments).

The ER doctor told her the baby's left lung is collasped and the right one has fluid in it.

Now if it was my child I would have called 911 when he stopped breathing forget calling someone else and asking them what I should do, also am I wrong but she should not have done an adult chest compression on a child that young.

If my sister would not have told her to take him to the ER she proably would have went to bed.

What is wrong with some people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Health

• You don't know what you would do in that situation until you are in it. She was probably still in a panic. She did compressions and saved the kid's life. She may still lose him. Be supportive and stop judging.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I'm not judging her I'm just stating a fact. The girl is more worrired about getting Laid than any thing. By the way the child had a heartbeat. Yes she might have been in a panic but after she got him breathing again she should have called 911 instead of my sister and asking her what to do, should she wait till in the morning.

But like you said who am i to judge, its just MHO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes, you are right. She should have called 911. But it has been my experience that when your child is in a crisis like that you don't always think clearly. You may be right about her personality and life choices, but let this one go. Seriously, even if the baby has a heartbeat. If the baby has a collapsed lung and fluid in the other, it might die. It is NOT looking good at this point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I agree with you, and I hope the baby pulls through, because his little sisters love him.. But I will keep my thoughts of her to myself and think about the baby, your right on that point.

At the time I wrote this I could not understand how she still wanted to wait to take him after he stopped breathing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• All the parenting talk aside, yes you are right that infant CPR and rescue breathing are different from how you would treat an adult.

Chest compressions are only given for lack of heart beat.

http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/infantcpr.html

Every mom and dad needs to know this! Many churches and country health departments will give classes. Also, your ped can teach you in 5 mins at your next appointment.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2009