My three month old is a spoild brat.

My DS is teething. The only thing that comforts him is the breast. My mom was over yesterday and he was fussing. I tried Oral Jel and teething tablets they didn't help. So I offered him the breast. So each time he was getting up set I would do the normal try to burb, bounce him, check his diaper and cuddled him. My mom said you need to stop spoiling him. My question is, is that really spoiling him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not at all. You can not spoil a baby, especially not a 3 month old. Children need their parents for more reasons than one at this age, and since they can not speak, the only way to express themselves is to cry. It is natures way of communication for them. It does exactly what it is supposed to do..it calls the mother to the baby. When verbal skills are mastered, crying tapers off, and they can communicate in other ways. Until then..you keep consoling that baby! Your baby needs your comfort. If you keep it from your child, you baby will be emotionally set up to feel like there is no trusting anyone, and could potentially become very clingy.

Look at these links:
    http://www.parenthood.com/article-topics/can_you_spoil_a_baby.html
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_should-i-worry-about-spoiling-my-baby_3446.bc
    http://www.fitpregnancy.com/yourbaby/babycare/can-you-spoil-a-baby-40729242.html
    Arianna

Answer by Arianna at 5:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It is impossible to spoil a baby that young. I think it's wonderful that he finds security and comfort in your arms at your breast. I know you would like to free your arms once in awhile so you can get some things done, but they can wait. Enjoy times like these now because as he grows he will want to become more exploratory to the environment around him and spend less and less time at the breast. He will always turn to you for comfort and security, though. I think you are a great mommy and doing a wonderful job. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• No you are tring to calm and comfort him. We like teething tablets. Or some Mortin if they were really uncomforatble.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• How is taking care of your baby, spoiling him? I could never understand this argument. It is assumed that if he is crying, there is a reason. Figuring out what is wrong and doing everything in your power to make it better is being a mommy. My mother was also a fan of the CIO method from birth, until my first was born. Then she was the first to run when he fussed. You, as the mommy, know what is best for your child. I know we tend to listen to those that were mothers before us but in the end, it is up to you to listen to your heart and your child, and do what is best.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• You can not spoil a child before 6 months. He doesn't understand cause and effect relationships so he doesn't know or predict what you are going to do if he cries.

You are not spoiling him by holding him, you are giving him what he needs. Babies need to held so that they learn that they live in a loving and comforting world.

That is not a "spoiled brat" a spoiled brat take a long time to create and usually says things like "But DADDY, I want an Umpaloompa NOW!"
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Your mom may be misinformed~ but you don't have to be!       ;-)

Check out all this good info:

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

•  

Your baby will not be spoiled if you hold him and nurse him often - quite the opposite, in fact. Studies have shown that when babies are held often and responded to quickly, the babies cry less, and the parents learn to read baby's cues more quickly. A young child's need for his mother is very intense - as intense as his need for food. Know that your child really needs you. It is not about manipulation or something you can "fix" with the right discipline. Often a baby who is perceived as fussy is simply a baby who needs more contact with mom (and is smart enough to express this need) and is content once his needs are met. See the links below to read more about spoiling.

doulala

• my mom said the same thing to me when my son was 2 weeks and i would pick him up if he was crying.......ignore her and do what you feel is best...imo 3 months is too young to get the concept of spoiled.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• At 3 months its impossible to spoil a child. They just feel safe with mommy. I was always told that i was spoiling my daughter when she was just an infant but she is my child and I will do what I think is best. It does get to a point where picking them up too much can make them dependent but thats at least 6 months old. Give your baby what you want and dont let anyone make you doubt your parenting.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Tell Grandma to mind her own business, are you sure that it is teeth? It is possible but 3 months is a little young, maybe he has colic?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2009