What would you consider the ideal staff room?

So, this was promted by a ? What is in your staff room?
My idea staff room would be a room with a sink, refrigerator, individual cup coffee/tea/hot cocoa maker, table and chairs, sofas, reading and eating lighting in a matching decor and psychologically pleasing color. I think every worker could benefit from a neck and shoulder massage and a catnap. So, private room for a catnap and a standy masseuse. 45 mintue lunch break and a fifteen minute break in the afternoon or morning, whichever is longest. Health snacks to boost energy and stave off hunger. The perfect staff room. The better the employees are cared for, the better they can care about their customers and their work!

happi-ladi

Asked by happi-ladi at 8:39 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The call center that I clean at night has one of the BEST break rooms I've ever heard of. They have a huge kitchen and dining area w/ a big flat screen and computers so they can go online while on break. A big room that has a pool table, ping pong table, 2 tv's (w/ an xbox 360, playstation and a Wii) , a bunch of games and comfy furniture. There's also a "quiet" room where they can relax. Not only do they have all that, but food and gifts are constantly being given to them. They are the most spoiled employee's I've ever seen.
    jcsg

Answer by jcsg at 10:10 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• And don't forget music is good for the soul. Add some good music therapy, meditation, mini yoga for those who don't care for a nap!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:41 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• LOL! Sounds good to me. :)

I'd say that at the minimum a chair that can be reclined, chairs and table (s), sink, refrigerator, microwave, individual cup coffee system, vending machines, private bathroom for the employees, small lockers where employees can lock handbags and coats, clean and in good repair.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• wow...sounds PERFECT!
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 8:45 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I teach school. We don't have a "staff room". We don't have the old "teachers' lounge". We have a copy room. It has a copier and a microwave. No chairs, no matching decor, no 'fridge, and the door must stay open. Teachers are required to be highly educated licensed professionals while treated as the lowest rung of society.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I've worked in schools and jesse is correct. Those lounges are the most miserable places on earth. I always wanted to have a day to paint and spruce the place up. I wonder, why doesn't the union negotiate more pleasant surroundings or contribute to providing them. If you have your own classroom, it's one thing. If you don't it sucks. They do as little as possible for you but why can't it be brought up to at least provide someplace to enjoy eating? Usually, there is a faculty/staff room off the cafeteria. If it get taken for some reason, someone "forgot" to put it somewhere else. Schools are the most demeaning and depressing places to work sometimes. It depends on the leadership. I am no model employee but I have been a manager and I can tell you, the heirarchy has alot to learn about creating an environment that is motivating. Start with your staff room...
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• And Jesse, don't bite your noses off to spite your faces, chip in a little labor or $ to meet them halfway. In the end, it's you who will benefit. They will just say you are whiny like children. They don't know much about adults. : )
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I worked in a factory and the women would meet in the bathroom. The cleaning lady had painted it herself. It really was beautiful, even though it was a bathroom! The front office bathroom had cleaning supplies and it was depressing. I don't know if they had a breakroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Well at my old job we had a huge break room with tons of tables and chairs. There was a full kitchen. We had vending machines for snacks, two that vended sandwiches and meals and a coffee machine that sold everything from espresso to hot cocoa. There were microwaves too. They also had complimentary salt/pepper, ketchup, and plastic tableware. There was a TV set into the wall and four computer kiosks for doing things like applying for new positions, looking at your benefits or just plain being on the Internet. No masseuse though, still we had it pretty good, but seeing as how when I first went to work there they had an actual cafeteria with lunch ladies and a salad bar it was kind of a step down.  This was a manufacturing facility, not an office.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Oh, it also had really huge windows and outdoor picnic tables for when the weather was nice. It was a great company to work for.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2009