I have a cold and EBF

is there any meds I can safely take

Sbahns

Asked by Sbahns at 9:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Something that is tylenol based, my doctor let me take tylenol cold, breast feed right before you take it and then hopefully you will have 2 or 3 hours for it to get through your system, If you could pump a couple of bottles so you could rest that might be good, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Sheez... again..... breastfeeding is a pain in the butt. WHY? Two kids, one breastfed, another not. The breastfed one has way more allergies and sickness... go figure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Why would you want to take the chance that any DRUG wouldn't get to the baby?

Suck it up, do what you would do if the baby had a cold and do what's best for the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• You could do Tylenol and Motrin for comfort
    I like the fruit breezers for my throat and cough... you want to avoid cough drops with menthol
    For cough medicine look for meds that only have Dextromethorphan and/or Guaifenesin. I think what i have is Robitussin DM
    You could use sudafed if you have tons of nasal congestion but I would try not to because it can decrease milk... if you do take it then drink lots of fluids.
    And then it's helpful to use a humidifier at night
    Fenugreek is also suppose to help with cough and congestion and bonus it helps with milk supply
    And honey and lemon are supposed to make a nice cough medicine
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:13 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• i really can't think of any meds that would help a cold to be honest. a hot shower is usually my best trick... and vapor rub. you can pick up all natural cough drops at the healthfood store. Also.. tea.. with lemon and honey.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Decongestants can help relieve the symptoms of a cold, but the cold itself has to run its course. Obviously, you want relief. Stay away from any decongestant containing pseudoephedrine, as it has a reputation for lowering supply. Other then that, OTC cold meds, taken as directed or less, are safe while nursing. Feel better! Try a hot shower, that can unstuff you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• yes, do for yourself what you would do for the baby.... saline spray for your nose, humidifier in the room, drink warm tea (herbal tea). medicine won't cure you.... you just have to wait for it to go away.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2009