Major confusion on how to count weeks... please explain it to me slowly.

I am confused about how they count the weeks on how far along you are. My last period began August 31, so is that the day you begin week one or is week one the next week?
I really just don't understand lol it is hubby and my first baby we both thought your began counting the first day of the last period so when we went to the Dr. the other day she said we were 11 weeks along not 12 so does that mean monday I will be 12 weeks?
this is so confusing lol omg if that is correct then I will begin week 40 the day before I am due to deliver??? due date is june 7 or 8, 2010. the nurse said the 7th then wrote the 8th then said the 8th after lol ahh!

I will not even begin to ask why they count a week or 2 before your even pregnant lol.
I thank any one in advance who can help me to understand this. lol.

SaphiraJFire

Asked by SaphiraJFire at 10:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• week one on the next week.. yes your doctor is correct. Normally the given due date follows either one week before the given due date or one week after..
    I suggest to visit this site www.babycenter.com..

good luck!
    jayzs

Answer by jayzs at 10:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• You start counting the day your last period started. So a week later, you would have been one week along. And yes, you will be 12 weeks tomorrow. And on June 7, you will be 40 weeks.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• oh okay so you count like you do birthdays. your not a year old till a year has gone by. well now you said that it seems pretty simple lol.

hugs   thank you

SaphiraJFire

Answer by SaphiraJFire at 10:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Your child will be born approximately 38 weeks from conception.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• rkoloms is right on....easiest way to figure it out is if you know approx conception date, then add 2 weeks to that, which should be your 1st day of your LMP, but that only works if your cycles are 28 days long.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 11:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• http://whenmybaby.com/pregnancycalendar

According to that, your due date is June 7th, but don't stress so much, the EDD (due date) is only a estimate, plus it's based off a woman who has a 28 day cycle AND ovulate (drop a egg) on day 14, (which most don't, at least not naturally)
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 1:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Here's the site I use, I put your due date in as June 8th, 2010.
    http://www.pregnology.com/faralong.php?month=6&day=08&year=2010

Your due date: Tue, June 8th ,2010
    Ovulation date: Mon, September 14th ,2009
    Conception date: Tue, September 15th ,2009
    Implantation date: Wed, September 23rd ,2009
    Due date: Tue, June 8th ,2010
    Still to go:
    197 days to go

And it counts the weeks and the dates they fall on and everything!!!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2009