What to get two girls for Christmas who have EVERYTHING?

A friend of mine cant figure out what to get her two (spoiled) girls because they have everything and too much stuff. I told her to buy them each a plant or something that isnt so materialistic. That way they can learn how to take care of things. She spent hours at the mall and toy store with two crabby girls just to see what toys they liked.
Why would someone bring their kids to play with toys at a store only to tell them they cant have them?
Does anyone have any ideas that I could give her?

MBsMom2004

Asked by MBsMom2004 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Holidays

• I got mine mostly educational gifts this year. They, too, are quite spoiled but not all by me mostly by my parents and the inlaws! They have soo much stuff and I can't get rid of it because I have another babygirl coming. I got my 3 year old a toy cash register and shopping cart so she can start learning how to count money (slowly but surely) and the leapfrog reading Tag system. My 1 year old is getting a leapfrog musical table along with other little developmental toys.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• How old are the kids? How about something from National Wildlife Federation where you sponsor a whale or wolf and the kids get a small stuffed animal and certificate. It's teaching them to care for other things and to take part in the care of our planet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• We are giving ours a few small things to open on Christmas...but their big present will be a vacation somewhere. We are putting the tickets in a box and letting my oldest open it. He doesn't need any more toys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• How about an experience rather than a toy? Maybe a bunch of different experiences if nothing else. Movie theater gift cards, restaurant gift cards, tickets to the zoo, tickets to a play, etc. depending on their age. What are their ages? are they near a big city? She could look online and see what special events are coming to her right after Christmas and do that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• In this case the best gift would be an experience gift. Tickets to movies, plays, theme parks, museums or anything local would be good. If they have a big budget then a vacation would be a good option for them. If she wants something for them to open up then a memory gift would be a great idea. A photo throw or a photo book would be a nice gift. I love www.photoworks.com I just bought a necklace from there and it came out beautiful. :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 5:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2009