Apparently getting a tattoo of my son's footprint will influence him to get a full body of tats when he is older. Really?!

So I've been talking about getting a tattoo of my son's footprint for a while now (but I havent grown the nerves to actually go do it just yet) The plan was for BF (baby's father) to get a matching one. He was psyched but now all of a sudden tattoos are against his beliefs, thats fine. I dont want to compromise his beliefs I'll just get it on my own. But now hes saying that by me getting a tattoo of the footprints, its going to influence him into getting his whole body tatted when he gets older. (and for the record, I only have one other tattoo, which is about the size of a quarter on my hip)

What say you about this? Do you think he is being rational? And if you yourself have tattoos, do you think they will influence your children into covering their bodies in tattoos?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no offense but your babysfather is and idiot.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I have 14 tattoos and my SO is a tattoo artist. I don't think it would influence my son to get his whole body tattooed. He may like tattoos but really who cares if he does. I wont let him get any until he is 18 and then after that I wont be able to stop him anyway. All you can do, is tell your kids how permanent it is, how you will have to wear it forever if they do decide to get one. You have to let them make their own decisions with those kinds of things. But I don't think it should stop you from getting a tattoo just because you think your son might grow up and get one.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• lmao piwife, I actually laughed out loud at that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• well my mother and father do not have ANY tattoos and I have one as of now and would like 2-3 more.... so I don't think that what the parents do necesarily affects the child
    Anonymous

• Getting another tat will not mean your child will get them when he gets older. The ones saying it does is also the ones that believe a child will at no point in life make their own decisions for their lives. Yes when your child is 18 or 19 they might want to get a tat and that is fine and in no way would it be your fault simply because you had some.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It sounds like the daddy has been guilt-ed into changing his mind, and my guess is he has one of "those" people as a mother or sister. "Those" people being the ones who have some rigid set of morals/religious beliefs that compel them to insult and belittle others into agreeing with them.

Your child will grow up to be an independent thinker bc that's what kids do. Whatever mom and dad didn't do, they are interested in. I'm sure daddy has met at least 1 teenager before. As a tastefully inked mom-to-be, I'm pretty confident that my baby will have the confidence to discuss tattoos with me and find a clean place and a good artist if the time ever comes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Your BF is giving you an excuse. He doesn't want to do it and he feels pressured by you. He should have the complete right to make up his own mind if he wants a tattoo or not. Same as you and same as your son.
    Anonymous

• He is probably just scared to get the tattoo (if he never has) and doesn't want you to show him up, or he's been listening to someone else's malarkey. Your child will not become a tattoo covered human if you have any tattoos.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Hahaha, I have seven tattoos, my husband has over 20, and I doubt any of our kids will have their entire bodies tattooed when they get older. I think its just a way for him to get you not to get the tattoo
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My parents don't have any and I am littered with them and my son love them but don't want them for themselves. Well oldest says that he may get one when and if he joins the military. He says that if he does it will be his dogtags.
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 12:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2009