how often should i ?

so i am breast feeding my daughter but i am also giving her a bottle when she acts like she is still hungry after feeding.
i have been pumping and giveing her that in a bottle but i was wondering how often should i pump?
she nurses every 3 hours for like about 20 mins then she is sleep, she wakes up about 30 to 40 mins later acting like she is starving
I was pumping every 4 hours but i need to up my supply so i was thinkinh i should pump every 2 hours.
how do you ladies do it?

Married2daBest

Asked by Married2daBest at 11:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just nursed when my son was hungry, it wasnt always every 2 hours to be exact. your baby might also be going throug a growth spurt!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• i think so she is 5 weeks old
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 11:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• why are you pumping and bottle feeding instead of just nursing? if u don't mind me asking?
    Nicole_06

Answer by Nicole_06 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• well because i had to supplement while i was in the hospital and when we came home for the first 2 weeks and i have just gotten use to it. I mean i want to breastfeed, but i dont think that she is getting enough. so i had been giving her formula after nursing, but i went down on the formula and i am trying to pump as often as i can to make sure that she is getting enough.
    and the way that she eats i will have her stuck to my boob all day long, i wont be able to get anything done, that will be hard with a husband, 5 year old, and guest always in town over our house.
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 12:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• well since no one really answered your question pump every 2hrs and nurse as often as possible pump after nursing as well and im positive shes getting enough shes just a very hungry girl like my son also bm is very easy for them to digest so they can get hungrier faster. eventually you will have a steady supply and it'll be much easier. GL!
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 12:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• She's coming up on her 6 week growth spurt... expect her to be at the breast 24/7. That's how she increases your supply. Do you have a sling? That will help you tremendously!

Think about it like this... if you need to increase supply, is it more convenient to have her at the breast, in a sling and you can still do chores and other things you need? Or to sit with a pump? She's more effective at increasing your supply, so you would actually need to spend MORE time pumping to get the same effect.

Once she establishes your supply (which bottlefeeding is preventing her from doing), she will develop a more normal feeding pattern.. but for now, feed on demand. If she wants to nurse 30 minutes after nursing, nurse her. Dump the bottles, don't worry about pumping unless you will be separated (you can pump once a day if you really want to store some) and just let her do the work.

Get a sling!!!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My oldest nursed for 40 min every hour for 3 months. She was the chubby Gerber baby looking. I pumped every morning before I nursed her, since I could only get the 4-6 ounces this way. My youngest nursed every 3 hours around the clock for 2-3 months for about 20 min total. She was also the cub Gerber baby look as well. I didn't bother pumping for my second child, she just got me.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Ok thank you ladies all of the information was helpfull. I want to just nurse her all the time I really dont want to bottle feed her, but I did not think she was getting enough, I will just nurse her as often as she likes, and if i need to have hubby or my mom give her a bottle while i run some errans or do some c hores then i guess one a day with breast milk is fine. THank you ladies again
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 12:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• When I pump i only get about an ounce from each side and that is why i was thinking that she was not getting enough. I see and hear about peoples little babys eating 4 ounces and i know that she is not getting that she is getting 2 oz from nursing. so that is another reason why i pump
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 12:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Pumping is zero indication of supply and doesn't reflect upon how much she is getting. Babies are more effective at removing milk and will get more than a pump in most cases.

Remember, babies need less human milk than they would formula. The nutrients in human milk are more easily absorbed and so they need less. Plus, babies will tend to overeat from bottles, so don't pay attention to how much bottlefed babies are eating because it has no relevance to you. It doesn't matter.

Watch diapers, you want to see at least 6 a day... nurse on demand. You will be fine, trust in your body and your baby, they were designed to work this way. Throwing a pump and bottles in the mix before you've established a good supply just gets the signals all messed up.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2009