When is a good time to move my turkey from freezer to fridge to thaw?

My turkey is 16 lbs and I want it thawed by Thanksgiving mid-morning.

Would today be too soon to place it in the fridge to thaw or have I put it in too late?

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 11:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• To thaw in the fridge, you need about one day for every 4 lbs, so I'd take that puppy out today!
    The other method, cold water thawing, is faster, but more work. It's about half hour every pound, but you need to change the water every half hour to hour to make sure it stays super cold.
    You can also thaw and cook at the same time. Just pop it in the oven frozen, cook until you have a internal temp of 170. The upside to this method is that the turkey stays very moise (especially if you cook it breast down) the downside is it is very difficult to season a frozen turkey, and it's more difficult to get an even internal temp.
    Really, the fridge is the best way. Take it out before you go to bed tonight!
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• thursday is thanksgiving, and my dad told me to put it in the fridge on tesday....=/ its pretty medium sized turkey
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 11:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• You definitely need to take it out today or it will still be frozen :-/
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 12:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes, the wrapping says, what, 24-48 hrs.?
    2-3 days?

It has NEVER been thawed for me using these guidelines
    Never!
    I've learned my lesson.
    I'd take it out today or tomorrow, and let it room temperature for 30 minutes before I popped it into the oven.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Depends on how cold your fridge is. First and formost but it on the bottom shelf in a pan or something. Next take it out and stick it in the fridge now. A 16 lb turkey can take 5 days to defrost. You should be safe if you do it now. Lastly day before thanksgiving start brineing your turkey. It'll come out more moist, more flavorfull and will thaw the rest of the way no questions asked.
    jrsjrb

Answer by jrsjrb at 6:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2009