Over the top toddler temper

I need some help! My two year old son's temper is out of control. My husband and I are miffed as to what to do. We've tried a bunch of different ways of dealing with it...Time outs, rewards, spanking, putting him in his room ext. When my son doesnt want to do something he throws himself on the ground...hits, kicks, yells, screams (I cant bring him into walmart because of the darn toy area...he throws a temper tantrum if he doesnt get to go play). Our son naps well so it's not like he's overly tierd. HE sleeps the reccomended amount of time of 16 hours (including nap). We are active through the day as much as possible (i have horrible morning sickness). I'm getting him enrolled in daycare with hopes that once a week of bringing him to get more social interaction with other kids...maybe that will help? I'm worried that he's going to get bigger than me and become out of control....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try ignoring him. Maybe he just wants the attention. What ever you do, never give in to him....not even once or it will continue. I've walked away from my daughter at the store and left her to kick and scream. Of course, I secretly watched her from a short distance. Once she thought I was gone, she freaked out and was more concerned about being scared and alone than the tandrum.
    My daughter threw a terrible tantrum at the movie theatre once and I carried her out kicking and screaming. When we got to the car and she calmed down, she said she was sorry and was ready to go back in. I had to explain to her that we were not going back in and that was a consequence of her actions. I think its important to explain why they are being punished and that their behavior is not acceptable.
    Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• when my almost 18 month old does that at walmart i let her lay ont the floor for a few seconds then i pick her up and hold her,if she strugles i hold her tighter. when she does it at home i let her throw herself back,sometimes i ease her so she wont get hurt. and i let her cry and walk away.and she quits and gets up and plays
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Two things: children this age are extraordinarily easy to overwhelm- just a few outings in a day is enough to push them over the edge. And, it may surprise you, but temper tantrums are not (until later, when they learn how they work) demands for anything, they're just a little body overflowing with emotions and the frustration of not being able to communicate clearly enough for parents to understand what he needs.

If you ever find yourself shouting and flailing around, throwing things or making ridiculous threats, you are expiencing (and demonstrating) exactly the same thing.

Avoid the things that cause tantrums: too many things in a day, too many visitors, tv and/or radio on all the time, meals too far apart, too many sugary (white flour) foods, expectations he can't possibly live up to (patience, following a moving person, remembering rules) --because over-stimulation is over-stimulating. Life here isn't 2yo speed.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Turn around and walk away. It will take awhile and he will get worse, but then he will get it that he is not going to get what he wants or any other attention he will stop. Also when he is behaving notice and tell him, a little hug or kiss wouldn't hurt either.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I agree try ignoring him - I have to tell you though don't cuddle him or kiss him when hes throwing a tantrum I tried this with my Zowie and she screamed a blood curdling scream...LOL. For some reason that kind of affection at that time is not good for them :D As far as the toy areas well thats a given with every child sooner or later they will get into that stage try doing the toy shopping with out baby. Or have hubby take him in one section of the store and you shop in the toy areas. - Good Luck!
    silvershewolf

Answer by silvershewolf at 8:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• The thing with my son though...we dont even have to go to the toy area...or near it, he knows it's there and where it is and bolts for it. We were in the mall today and I tried to ignore a temper tantrum he had being he wanted to go to the play area (on the other side of the mall). So I told him he could lay on the floor and I was finishing my shopping....I took a few steps, looked backwards, he stood up told me OK mommy I go play and started running the other way towards the play area...again accross the mall..........Ahhhh!
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 4:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009