In need of help from the resident Pagans & Witches

I have always hated the idea of the Thanksgiving holiday. I know the story of the "first Thanksgiving" they teach in school is a crock and feel that continuing the tradition is only supporting the continued destruction of the Native cultures. So, I always sit out dinner and spend the day doing my own thing...

But I saw another mom say in a post that she felt the same as I and that she preforms a small ritual with an offering to the "Spirit of the Natives" in order to honor their memory.

I really love this idea but don't know to much about how to do this. In fact I don't have a clue. Is there someone that could at least point me in the right direction?

Any help would be great! Thanks to you all! - I'm still kinda new, so be nice please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Was that my post??

I don't do a full ritual just a general offering. We have a massive area here that is known to be native burial ground and today is a park.

I go up to the one area that is very secluded with a small offering of of venison, apples and some other wild berries (things that would have been naturally occurring in the native diet). I spend the afternoon meditating and I thank the great spirits for their generocity in my life. I make a small fire and say a blessing. I ask the spirits to forgive those that were so hateful and to help bring peace to those still affected (native & non-native spirits still left wondering our world) and to aid them to cross over. Then I make an offering by blessing the food, eat my share and give the rest to the great spirits (toss them in the fire).

Then I spend the evening doing my part to clean up the park and keep it green.

It's very small and personal, but that's what I do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I celebrate Thanksgiving as a harvest celebration. It really has nothing to do with the "Pilgrims & Indians" story that they teach kids. So you can celebrate as many cultures through time has (even though it is rather late for our part of the world) by being thankful for the fruits of the earth.

As for your ritual, you can do it any way you like. You might research some NA history & ritual if you would like to try to add some "authentic" flavor, or at least do a little to make sure you aren't doing anything that would actually be considered insulting.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Our "Thanksgiving" is celebrated on Mabon.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Some interesting facts about Thanksgiving.
    Thanksgivings have been held for hundreds of years but were holy days proclaimed by a king or spiritual leader. People went to church for long services thanking God for something specific (the recovery of a king from disease, a win in battle, etc.). A meal was not any particular part of it.
    Thanksgiving in America began as a regular holiday thanks to magazine articles (& lobbying) by Sarah Josepha Hale, Lincoln decided it would be good to unite the nation during the Civil War.
    The Plymouth celebration was not a Thanksgiving, was not planned but spontaneous & the NAs probably weren't invited.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I guess I should have specified that I celebrated Mabon. But this is something I want to do on the American Thanksgiving to honor the Natives who were snuffed out by the "white man." And make restitution for the crimes my ancestors committed against them.

And thanks Sabrina - it was your post!
    Anonymous

• Answered at 1:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 by: Anonymous But this is something I want to do on the American Thanksgiving to honor the Natives who were snuffed out by the "white man." And make restitution for the crimes my ancestors committed against them.

That does make a lot of sense. While I make the holiday acceptable for my family by removing the artificially inserted association, the association is there, making it a perfect time for rituals of healing.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yup, research Mabon - a harvest holiday with more of a purpose than to dress up like Pilgrims and pretend we're thankful for their ruthless killing of Indians.

Mabon is in September though, and aside from some smaller, often personal things, there's not really a Pagan celebration in November.

RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• The first Thanksgiving documented as celebrated in North America was in Frobisher Bay, Arctic Circle, I think in 1510 --and they were thankful to be alive -the northern explorers had survived the harsh winter and could go home. It was in July.

You could be thankful for the harvest that you don't have to participate in to enjoy the fruits of. You could be thankful for your loved ones. You could eat fresh, local and seaonal foods ---whatever they may be where you live. You could be thankful just to be alive...

It's your holiday, celebrate it the way you want to.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Here:

Pagan Thanksgiving )O( My Goddess Food Ritual

This is what my Circle and I did for Mabon this year...and I've done it in past years on or around the American Thanksgiving. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2009