mothers who strictly formula feed...

I have an 8 1/2 week old son. I've pumped milk up to this point, but at max I got only 3 bottles a day. I've tried Fenugreek, mothers milk, eating oatmeal...everything everyone has recommended. My supply continually gets smaller and smaller, and takes longer to pump. All the while, he eats more and more. I've been to now FIVE lactation consultants, and he won't latch on, and my supply won't go up. I've tried everything, I feel like. At this point I feel like I'm going to have to go completely to formula. I feel inadequate...like a failure sometimes. it makes me cry thinking of it. I only want the best for him, had planned on breastfeeding, and made a real effort. My question is..if you fed your child only formula...have they been healthy? Have they been sicker, do you think, than if they had been breastfed? I'm just so scared it's my fault that his health will be jeopardized...

Any positive words for me? :(

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You deserve huge kudos for working this hard, mamma! You are an excellent mother and you have nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes we don't have the right support or education and these things happen. It doesn't make you any less a great mom. You have worked SO hard, and you have given him everything you could. You are not inadequate, you're wonderful!

*hugs* You just do what you have to do, and keep up being a great mom.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Most formula fed babies turn out A-ok!
    Anonymous

• my son was only formula fed and he's very healthy :) don't feel bad... you did what you could and at this point, formula is not bad for him.
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• DS1 bf'd for 2.5 mos - he's fine
    DS2 bf'd for 6 mos - he's fine
    DS3 refused to BF - he's turning out normal so far. I tried pumping and everything, and that lasted all of 3 weeks... He didnt like the breast and with two older kids and a full time job, I barely had time to pump, so he got formula.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My son was formula-fed. He's almost 2 1/2 now, and just went to the doctor last week for his very first sick visit ever. He's been very healthy, with only minor seasonal allergy issues until this point (and this time was a minor ear infection, so it could still have been because of allergies).

And on a side note, I was breastfed but spent the first few years of my life getting sick all the time (ear tubes 4 times by 6 years old). So breastfeeding is not a cure-all, and formula-feeding doesn't mean you're going to have a sick child. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Thanks so much ladies. You've truly made me feel a lot better. I suppose this just another way of life teaching me that things do NOT always turn out how you planned them...nor how you want them, lol. I've been bashed so many times on here for using ANY formula, so thanks for your kind words. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• If you can't breastfeed, you can't breastfeed...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Don't feel sad, you're a great mom. I'm bf now but I formula fed my first daughter because she was bornt a month earlier and she was in nicu for a week, she's 2 yo and she's NEVER got sick! Me and my husband had flu and cold but she was the only one to be always fine.
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• he'll be fine, my daughter was breastfed, but my son was formula and i cant tell the difference, thier BOTH healthy. they both havent been gassy, no fuss, nothing. i know your upset about it, but no worries, you got this far and its awesome. formula isnt a bad thing. lol if it was, they wouldnt recommend it for babies. =D
    my son uses good start, you should go through WIC, they give me 10 cans of formula a month, and im thankful i went through them, i couldnt be able to afford formula per month on my own
    good luck
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 2:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I have fed my son formula from day one. He has never had any kind of sickness other than a small cold here or there. He hasn't had any problems with it at all. I don't think there is no way he could have been any healthier had I breast fed.
    I wish you luck with your little one.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2009