Does anybody know what to do with a fussy,gassy,constipated 2 week old!!

I was breastfeeding and had to switch to formula because I have mastitis really bad in both boobs!!

XandersMaMa118

Asked by XandersMaMa118 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used mylicon drops for my son's gas. Also the doctor had to call him in some medicine for constipation when he was a couple weeks old it is called lactalose. I would call your child's ped and ask if they could call something in.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Mastitis is not a reason to stop nursing, so if you want to, you can resume nursing. Nursing is actually good for mastitis. No doubt the switch to formula is causing issues, but generally, it just takes time for baby to get used to the new food. Try some infant massage, bicycling the legs, maybe gas drops, should you decide to continue on with the formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Definitely try to restart breastfeeding. I nursed through two boughts of mastitis. Lots of massage and hot compresses, along with breastfeeding and pumping, got me through it.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I plan on it!! I have mastitis so bad i have like greenish colored puss coming out of my boobs so thats why I have to feed him formula until it goes away!!
    XandersMaMa118

Answer by XandersMaMa118 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• When my son had gas when he was that little I did use the gas drops but they didn't seem to help. i found these colic tablets that are homogeneous and completely natural. but they helped him calm down so his tummy could do what it needs. i found them at babies r us. they are just called colic tablets. a lot of the time their fussing can actually make gas hurt more thats why i used the colic tablets. plus you should prob research about getting your milk back it only took me a couple days to be almost completely dried up. i researched online there are teas you can drink and a vitamin you can take called fenugreek. it helped my milk a lot. but of course talk to your doctor first. Also increase in gas can actually be a sign of allergic reaction. He may not be allergic but since he's so little the formula may be a little difficult to digest for him. Try soy its much easier for little tummies to digest.
    LennonT0609

Answer by LennonT0609 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Gently lift his knees to his chest slowly a couple of times. It really does help.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Are you pumping while not breastfeeding? Do your best to put baby back to the breast. Breastfeeding is one of the best cures (with antibiotics) for mastitis. If you stop breastfeeding and don't pump you are going to slide down a very slippery slope. Formula is most definitely causing all of the problems. It messes with the gut flora big time. Good Luck and put baby back to the breast asap.

Anonymous

• Ugh. Mastitus is miserable - I had it too. If you're sticking to formula for now, maybe try the Enfamil Gentlese, and try pumping when you aren't in major pain to boost the production if you can! (Look into renting a hospital-grade one if you don't have one) We used mylicon for my son to help with the gas, and also bicycling his legs. Constipation - ask your pediatrician on their recommended method for a 2 week old. Good luck mama, and congrats on your new little one!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 6:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• To clear the mastitis, you need top be pumping like crazy and nursing ASAP or it won't go away.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2009