Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


If you had a c section with your first, did your Dr. allow you to have a vaginal birth with your second? If so, how did it go?

I recently had my first, by c section. Though I don't plan on another for about 4 years, I'm wondering what my options would be.


Asked by StefanieN84 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 4 (40 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • You would "qualify" for a vaginal delivery in the future. (Provided you heal and remain healthy & your next baby isn't transverse.)

    It's great to see you're investigating your options so early! ;-)
    There are things you can do to increase your odds.
    Choosing a provider and location, getting the education and confidence to get what you want are priorities.

    Having some one-on-one help through this path will be great~ you might want to go to ICAN meetings, have a doula and a midwife to help. Let me know if you'd like a reading list as well.


    Answer by doulala at 4:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

  • I'd like to add...the only reason I had to have a c section was bc of his positioning. He was transverse (sideways) and there was no way to birth him like that. Otherwise, i should have been completely capable of birthing him vaginally.

    Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

  • Some drs do and some don't like it. You will just have to look for the right dr and ask first off if they would let you try.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

  • You can always change doctors!! Some practices have midwives who specialize in VBACs.

    Answer by ecodani at 2:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

  • My c-section delivered twins will be 4 next month. I'm now pregnant again, and the doc is on board with the VBAC option. I'd like to try, but I'm ok with doing another c-section if that ends up the safest option at the time.

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 3:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

  • you might have to do a lot of research to find an OB or midwife who will "allow" VBAC but imo it's your best option so just try to find one before you get pregnant so all is settled. :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2009