how long is schooling for a Pharmaceutical Tech? or is there a 10 week program or anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no there isnt a 10 week program
    its like 4 years
    Anonymous

• 6 months- 1 year depending on the courses you take.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 2:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Most of the Pharm Tech programs I'm aware of are two year Associate of Science programs. They want to be sure you're basically literate, are thoroughly knowledgable about medical and pharmaceutical terminology, etc. I know people who have used a A.S. in pharm tech as a jumping stone to a bacholors degree and into Pharmacy school. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It's not 4 years, but it should be. Second poster is right.

Anonymous

• Anon:06 The OP is asking about becoming a pharmacy tech, not a pharmacist.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 2:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• there is a HUGE difference between the two..
    AngeLnChainZ

• Our pharmacies here hire you off the street and train you themselves. You get a workbook study then go take a test. Usually about 6-8 wks after you start.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I have an associates degree in industrial pharmaceutical biotechnology. It's not a degree to work in a pharmacy (although you could do that with it, but it's not as much $$$), it's a degree to work in/for a pharmaceutical company doing either production and/or testing on the products. It's a 2 year degree at a local community college. I only had to go for one year because they counted some of the courses I had taken for my BA.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• You should check with the colleges in your area to find out what they have to offer.
    Also, check with your major chain pharmacies.
    The CVS pharmacies in our cities will hire and train anyone who is interested in taking the courses in order to obtain their state license with the agreement that you work for them for a certain amount of time (I think it's a 1 or 2 year contract).
    What's great is that you get the education, training, licensing, and work experience - can't get any better than that!
    When I became a pharm tech I had already taken the courses as a part of my degree to become a Medical Assistant. Once I began helping out in a pharmacy, I just got the state license in order to be able to keep on working there. The license for that state had to be renewed each year. I was the Director of Medical Records for 130 residential & long-term care facilities so I only helped out in the pharmacy during my slow times.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I'm a Pharmacy Technician, I have an associates in applied science.
    Anonymous