Don't know what's wrong With my son

He is 8 years old and just had heart surgery and now his white cell count is low...it was almost low enough to hospitalize him....the doctors have run several tests on him and still can't seem to figure out what is wrong with him. He is even seeing a cancer specialist to make sure it's not cancer and still no one can figure it out. Can anyone help me out as to what I should ask the doctors to look for....I am just at my wits end and he seems to lose his strength at times...his face will even turn pale white right in front of us and then an hour or so later goes back to normal and still the doctors tell us they can't figure it out. Please can anyone help??

Babygi

Asked by Babygi at 2:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would seek the help of St. Judes hospital. They don't just treat cancer. Hope your lil is OK.

Anonymous

• HEY, I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH HELP I CAN BE, HOWEVER MY DAUGHTER HAD OPEN HEART SURGERY AT 2 DAY'S OLD SO I DO KNOW THAT IF THEIR WHITE BLOOD CELLS ARE HIGH IT MOST OFTEN WILL MEAN THAT THERE IS AN INFECTION SOMEPLACE. DID HIS PEDIATRICIAN ORDER A COMPLETE BLOOD PANEL AND CHECK HIS URINE FOR INFECTION BEFORE SENDING YOU OFF TO A CANCER DOCTOR? I SURE HOPE SO, IF NOT THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO FIRST BEFORE LOOKING FOR THE WORST OUTCOME TO YOUR PROBLEM. HANG IN THERE AND REMEMBER TO TAKE ONE STEP AT A TIME. I HAVE BEEN WHERE YOU ARE WITH A SICK CHILD, ALSO REMEMBER THAT WITH ALL THINGS' THIS TOO SHALL PASS. TAKE CARE AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.
    paranormalwoman

Answer by paranormalwoman at 6:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Wow, I'm sorry you're going through something so scary. I don't want to suggest anything that might scare you, so DON'T PANIC here, okay? WBC manages infections, and it's correct that if WBC is high there may be an infection. If it is low, it means that something is preventing them from being produced (theoretically.) My Grandmother was quite sick for a while, and if I remember correctly the doctors checked the liver, the bone marrow and maybe something else. I would say to check the marrow (it's painful, so last resort?) because that's what makes the blood. The kidneys clean the blood. The liver filters out nasty old stuff (my grandmother had cysts.) Sounds like something is going on with the immune system in general, if not with the creation of WBC's...Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I have no advice about what it could be BUT... if you feel you need to "ask the doctor what to look for" then you need to find another doctor! No parent should have to give their doctor advice!! Go get a second opinion and find a doctor that knows what tests need to be ran.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2009