if u worked 3rd shift --12 hr shift. would you get up and go to a thanksgiving lunch?

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Holidays

• I worked nights for 12 years. I am the type of sleeper that once I get woke up I'm up for the day. I can't go to sleep for a few hours, get up and do stuff then go back to sleep. A lot of ppl that wotk nights do that and then wonder why they are always tired. I have been in this situation many times and the answer is No, I wouldn't.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I have also worked nights for a long time and it has to be REALLY important for me to get up and interrupt my sleep (especially if I have to go back to work that night). My family knows after all this time that if it's on one of those days they can count me out before about 3 in the afternoon.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I probably wouldn't. If they would make you a plate of the food, though, that would be really nice.

Answer by Bmat at 3:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Can you go, eat, and pass out on the recliner for a while? I'm good at naps, but not everyone is.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Id it was with family I would. My dh worked 12 hr shift work for years and we always ate about 2.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• nope. no sense in screwing up your schedule.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 3:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I'd say do what you want. If you feel like it go for it! If your health & sleep is what's more important do that! Hope you do have a good Happy Thanksgiving!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 4:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It depends. Are you working the next night or are you off for the weekend. If you are off for the weekend, you might as well get up and go to lunch, stay up the rest of the day and go to sleep that night. If you have to work thanksgiving night - have someone bring you a plate of food that evening. =P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I would play it by ear. I would probably set my alarm for an hour before lunch and if I felt like I couldn't do it then I would go back to sleep and stop by for a visit later in the day. If I felt up to it then I'd go have fun for an hour or two and head back home to rest some more. Either way I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 5:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• yes, it is with family and yes I have to work that night. I am on a schedule where I work 7 days and am off for 7 days
    ilovedogs1967

Answer by ilovedogs1967 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009