Is it normal for my 16 month old to be more of an observer than a doer??

My son used to point to things when i asked him where they were (like in books) now he only looks at it when i ask him then he turns the page or points to something else or just looks at me like i am stupid. He has said words like bye hi mum grandpa(twice) and dog(once) and itty for kitty. but he doesn't talk too much he still babbles but not alot and basically sticks to mum or hi. he isn't exposed to other kids..he is usaully with me 24/7. He isn't really all over the place. He likes to sit back and watch things. is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's normal... as is being a doer. Kids are different. My first was very verbal but never ran around... she wanted to sit around a look at books and talk about things. At the playground she'd just stare at the other kids... but was happy to do that for an hour at a time! My second is up and running, moving, shaking, won't sit through a book... They're both girls; couldn't be more different.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Sounds like my 18mos old. I try 2 expose him 2 other kids. We go to parent ed classes, swimming. Next semester we're going 2 do mr parent ed n mr field trips 2 c cuzins n 2 da zoo. Also use books w/ real pix n not drawings. Preferably make a family album with ppl he recognizes, album of trip 2 da zoo or park. Make sure u add pix of him in there.

Good luck.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009