anyone else never sanitize their bottles?

i did it once when they were new and maybe once a month. my son is now 7 months and has never been sick besides 1 cold

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never did. The package said there was no need. (other than the first time) Just wash with soapy water and rinse well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Me too... soapy water and rinse...
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I never did and my son is 11 months and never been sick.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I never did. I washed them before I used them and after each use, but never sterilized. My son just went for his first sick visit last week (he's 2 1/2).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I breastfed so mine were only for supplementing, but I ran them through the dishwasher instead of boiling.

Answer by missanc at 4:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• That's a 1950s myth that you need to sterilize bottles. Maybe for a new, new baby. Once they're old enough to be putting things in their mouths, they're getting all kinds of germs anyway.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My son is 4 and 1/2 months old and other than the first month I haven't done anything but wash them with hot soapy water and rise in hot water. He hasn't been sick at all even when mom was.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• We never did... it seemed pointless... it's not like you sanitize your food before you eat it. I did't sanitize my breasts before feeding him either... why do it with a bottle? We just washed them with soap and water.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• i was told that you don't have to if you wash with hot soapy water. i would boil them when i first got them because the direction said to, and after that i would use hot water, soap, and a bottle brush
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I use a steam sterilizer in the microwave with every batch I wash and Ike is 9 months old. We have boil ordinances all the time, and some times we don't know about it until almost a day into it. Its just easier to santize every single batch every time. It takes me about 5 minutes to hand wash 6 bottles then 5 minutes in the mircowave. So 10 minutes a day to make sure he has nice clean bottles.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2009