What do you think of this?

A woman in Canada was on long term sick leave for major depression. The insurance company found pictures of her on vacation, partying at Chippendales and cut her off. She is suing, saying that the doctor told her to try and have a good time. Is this lawsuit worthy?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34089972/ns/world_news-weird_news/?GT1=43001

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• She's been on this sick leave for a YEAR!!! If she is still too depressed to work, then she needs some major therapy. You know, the kind you get 3 times a day at the hospital. For someone smart enough to find a way to milk the system, she sure was stupid to put those photos on FB. It's just like someone on workman's comp with a back injury putting a new roof on his house. FAKER!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Not in TX
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think that far too many people take advantage of disability. If you are too depressed to work you should be institutionalized.

I suffer from depression and get up every day and go to work. It keeps me off medication and able to cope. My brother is medicated and sleeps all day and stays up all night. His depression has gotten worse and worse. He will end up in a hospital before too long.

Anonymous

• Sounds like the woman is taking advantage.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Too many lawsuits over trivial things.....

Many depressed people work, so she would have to have been exagerating her symptoms or in cahoots with her doctor to be out on long term sick leave and still be well enough to party!
    Anonymous

• I'm sure if her doctor told her to try to have a good time he/she didn't mean it that way. There are way too many people going on disability or abusing FMLA. I have a friend at work who has no problems except for a little bit of anxiety. Her doctor signed her FMLA papers saying "Everyone needs a day away from work without getting in trouble". She ended up taking 2 days a week under FMLA off to go out of town to the horse races or to go to Ski resorts and other vacations. She even took a day off because she wanted to go Outlet shopping in NC. I have a slipped disc in my back that is pinching a nerve and somedays I can hardly get up and walk and don't get me started on how it feels when I"m sitting. I also have panic attacks that are so bad they mimic symptoms of a stroke (loss of memory, can't speak, sharp pains in my head). My doctor refused to sign my FMLA papers b/c I don't have cancer.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 4:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• She's definitely taking advantage
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 5:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Taking advantage, If the doctor can consent that they told her to do these things, then she may have a chance.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It's not major depression unless you're in the hospital under suicide watch. Anything less than that and you're perfectly capable of putting on your big girl panties and getting on with life. There is zero overlap between 'depressed enough to not work' and 'healthy enough to go on vacation' and the gap between them is pretty darn wide. Even if her dr did tell her to go have a good time that's no excuse.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2009